More Cars w/ compositing question

So I used compositing like Spazi suggested in discord to make the lights glow more but then it stopped working and I have no idea why so here is one with glowing and one with more vehicles!

3 Likes

Here are my nodes if anyone wants to look at it (not expecting it)

1 Like

I think your composition is setup correctly (mine’s almost the same, I just add denoising node before):

The only real difference is that I see is that my emissive is way higher than yours:

edit: and if I set the emissive to low value like 4 it stops glowing as well :slight_smile: so hopefully cranking it up in your material will make it glow again.

3 Likes

That works but then the emission looks pink

1 Like

I didn’t found accurate number to watt conversion in manual, but someone did test in here: What is the conversion from Emission strength to Watts? - #2 by lucas.coutin - Lighting and Rendering - Blender Artists Community

“By test, I would say that 10 watts is 2 strength emission shader.”

Edit: oh, and I found this more technical explanation on how to be accurate with emission stranght: light - What kind of units does the Cycles emission strength use? - Blender Stack Exchange I think I will just adjust the numbers instead of doing the math in my head :sweat_smile:

Strong emission will shift value of color, so maybe experiment with color?

Edit: or in more general, treat emissive shader something in-between standard shader/material/texture and other lights in the scene. For many things it actually behaves more like light.

Thanks so much for your help!

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

No Idea if this is helping, I experimented with compositing the emission separately.

Basically research seems to say the brighter a coloured light the more white is goes. So Blender/Cycles is right, In effect, it is overexposing, but it has always annoyed me with emissive lights I want Bright colours like some control panel or traffic light.

I am not a fan of glare/glow anyway though, it’s more of an effect in fog than anywhere else.

(I had a red point light as well on the top middle of the red protrusion. Thinking light on top might help.)

How are you getting these nodes?

I only have these

I’ve never used compositing before so if it’s very basic I’m not surprised.

Here, in ‘view layers properties’:

1 Like

bOBaN is right. This is real physics working!
If you intensify light, it will become more white.
There are no green suns, only red dwarfs (low intensity) or super hot white ones.
It’s how nature works.

2 Likes

the thing is that red lights on cars and stuff have the light shine through them, they aren’t actually red lights. So is that an option in blender? That’s why we expect actual colors for lights

I guess I could try with the same thing I did with the windows. hmm

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms