MonoDevelop not opening script files

Ok it works now, is there a way to stop monodevelop from opening everytime i click to open the script when its already open

Do you mean from within Unity?

A single click of the script within Unity should display it within the Inspector. If you double-click the script it will open within MonoDevelop, launching MonoDevelop if its needed. I’ve not come across a situation where MonoDevelop opens more and more instances of itself with each script, is this what is happening, or do you mean it is opening multiple copies of the script? Screenshot?

Updated Sun Apr 29 2018 12:31

Just had a look around online and there are other people talking about what you have described also. One thing I did read however was that MonoDevelop was going to be deprecated in the next major release.

Someone has linked to a solution that they had for a previous version of Visual Studio which apparently behaved in the same way, suggesting it may help. It’s basically a case of deleting the .csproj and .sln files for the project and then when you launch MonoDevelop next time it recreates them and may be happy from that point onwards.

I only ever used MonoDevelop briefly myself but it felt like the product that never was in comparison to Visual Studio, as such I just moved to Visual Studio and stuck with it ever since.

I would recommend doing the same for yourself if the above fix doesn’t resolve the issue. You can download and install Visual Studio Community, or Visual Studio Code (more lightweight version) for free, it is a much richer product but will look/feel that same as MonoDevelop, so you shouldn’t feel out of depth - plus, I know it doesn’t do what you’ve experienced with MonoDevelop.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

See also;

Oh yes it works now :grinning: All is good now and i can continue with course!

1 Like

So, for anyone else encountering the same problem, did you delete the .csproj and .sln files from the project?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms