Monitoring temperatures for long renders

As the title says, I was wondering if anyone might know of any (Preferably free/open source) software to monitor your computers temperatures (for windows 10)? Would also prefer if it can display a timeline or graph of usage and temperatures over a period of time.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Search for tools, which will investigate your hardware. Like which type of memory cards you have, CPU types, etc. They also provide temperature of several hardware components.
But I don’t have any names for you.

1 Like

Np, thanks for replying though eh :slight_smile:
I’ve found a few that give real-time temps and usage, but can’t find any that offer a graph of temps and usage over a period of time. Thats what I mainly need to see as I am a bit nervous about spending 8+hours overnight at a time rendering on my laptop and would like to give myself a 2hour reference period to monitor and adjust accordingly before burning out my laptop or having the render crash halfway through lol.

I understand completely!!

I got heating troubles too.
My video card (for CUDA Render option), does still work.
But is not so fast anymore and my second monitor has difficulties to sync the video signal at start up laptop. This happened after a long night of rendering (100% CPU GPU). When I got a strange hardware message.

This is my second laptop with hardware overheating problems. So I’m looking for a desktop PC. With more cooling capacity.

1 Like

Haha, I’m also thinking of building a Desktop PC for the sole purpose of rendering. But I just brought this decent Y740 laptop with the RTX 2060 and i7 brand new back in September (Back to school sale!) and really love it so far, especially compared to my old crappy laptop which I basically melted while doing the 2D Unity gamedev course last winter lmao.

So Im kind of conflicted on investing even more into another PC, but it might be worth it to save our laptops lmao. Honestly though, I dont know too much about the tech side of computers as the last 10 years I havent really had the time or money to invest in it lol. So i’m trying to keep things simple and reach small goals to not get overwhelmed. Thats my biggest issue right now though as I’m trying to learn in so many different areas at once just to render something haha. Just takes time and patience I suppose eh.

Btw heres a program a family member showed me that I think does exactly what I’m looking for - Might help you or anyone else reading this as well. The pro version displays graphs and has remote monitoring but I don’t think it’s free. However they do have a free trial and the price is around $20-30 US which is decent. (not sure if im allowed to share this kind of stuff here?)

1 Like
1 Like

Just chiming in here.

I have massive issues with heat when rendering and i need to upgrade to have a heatsink that incorporates 2 fans on it as during a UK summer i was hitting temperatures of 100 degrees on my CPU.
As a short term measure i had the side panel open and a house fan pointing directly at the pc.

Cable management is a MASSIVE thing to disrupt airflow.

I dont rate laptops personally for blender due to the heat issue as i already cooked one of my gaming laptops doing that and the other i now rarely use for more than running minecraft (It is capable of running GTA V online!)

2 Likes

Haha thanks for the info and insight guys! I tried my first long render last night. Ended up staying up until almost 5am perfecting everything - woke up this morning to find it had frozen on frame 3 for no reason lol. I’ve already had to spend HUGE amounts of time decimating my beautiful work and had to MASSIVELY compromise on the quality just to get a reasonable render time, now its not even rendering… Even though this is a rather high end laptop(costs $3000 CAN without a sale! Lenovo Legion Y740, RTX 2060, i7 9750H, 16GB RAM, SSD only).

Your story of frying your laptops is scary, (but worth noting!) as I invested a lot into this laptop, and cant really afford to have the hardware fry… I think it might be time to look into building a tower for rendering or just giving up on animating altogether until I can afford it lmao… That or just animate really low poly/small stuff… which just isn’t my style.

Thanks again for the input both of you, you’ve given me a lot to consider.

Edit: Thanks FedPete for that link!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms