Monitor calibration

When going through tutorials I noticed differences between viewing monitor and Blender monitor: I am trying to match what I see on one monitor to my main monitor ( Samsung Odyssey 32” Class G65B) but more importantly when I make stuff I want others to see as I intended (colors matching) on my main monitor to get it close to my other 2 monitors I wound up sliding the tint mostly all the way to the left on my G65B. How can I tell if the rest of the world is seeing what I see and does anyone have a good way of doing monitor color calibration without buying some expensive sensor ?

2 Likes

Not that I know of that is why there are good quality monitors for art related work.

2 Likes

So did I buy a hunk of junk with the G65B ?
it has been a thorn in my side with auto local diming turning back on in different areas of the monitor settings after power blips etc. I’m plain out of cash after purchasing half the courses here and other stuff but would still take advice on monitors ( I had been looking at oled but not sure). Any ideas ?
PS local diming on this thing should be called picture distortion

1 Like

The monitor is not necessarily junk, and I don’t think Blender treats colors badly. But the monitor must be calibrated, and then the calibration must be kept to date, and you need to keep trace of which color space is being used where. And this is an art by itself. Other people will most likely not look at your images with the same monitor (no way!) or under the same lighting conditions. And if you work with a monitor cover to avoid stray reflections, don’t even dream of other people having the same.

You can aim to calibrate and then set colors so that you are satisfied with the results in an “average” environment. For example, if your users are going to be mostly in an office, sitting in a living room or a cell phone outdoors, keep this in mind at the time of choosing how you want things to be.

I have done color matching from monitors to print for art and nature photography and I know this is really difficult (and with printed supports the paper and inks are at least always the same once you decide which ones to use, which does not happen with screens! :grin:).

3 Likes

Megane_Wang’s answer pretty much sums up what I was going to say: you can never even begin to guarantee this because there are far too many variables outside of your control.

What you can do, especially since you have other monitors for comparison, is largely what you’ve been doing: manually calibrate the G65B, in comparison to your other monitors, using some kind of colour block/wheel as a control image on all of them, and using your individual human perception as a way of ball-parking it.

There are online tools available to help quantify this process, which coincidentally feels similar to using a printer’s test page. Have a look at this:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-online-tools-calibrate-monitor/

1 Like

I will give the suggestions a spin, thanks :grinning:

2 Likes

You can also not compare screen and print together. Screen uses RGB while print uses CYMK.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms