Modifiers cannot be applied to multi-user data

Hi,

In the lecture “Checking Pieces Fit Together” in the Game Asset Pack section, when I went to create a Full Copy of my scene to test the pieces, I can’t apply any of the modifiers on Window Bricks or Window Sill due to an error that says: “Disabled: Modifiers cannot be applied to multi-user data”.

I’m trying to find a workaround for it that isn’t tedious. Currently in object mode I can select Object -> Relations -> Make Single User -> Object & Data which allows the modifier to be applied, however there has to be a better way. I think this may be a bug with Blender. I’ve tried in both the 2.83 LTS download and today’s 2.83.2 release.

If you have linked copies (Disabled: Modifiers cannot be applied to multi-user data). It’s impossible to change an individual object. But depending on which data they are linked (mesh, texture, modifier, etc.).

Only unlinking will help. In the data tree, you can manage which part of the data is sharing other data.

In the case of other materials, you can create a node setup with the different object id, to manage different behavior (color). This is quite technical.

Linked copies will stay linked to their original even if you create a new scene using Full Copy?

(I don’t think I had any linked copies in my original scene either way, just trying to figure this out)

Do you mean linked using Alt+d?
Or Linked from other project Main menu > File > linked …

When I created a new Full Copy scene, the objects in the new scene had data that was linked to something else (I’m assuming linked to data from the original scene).

Here’s a bug report I found from a few days ago with seemingly the same issue:

https://developer.blender.org/T78611

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms