[Mobile Game] - Viking Raiders

Hello everyone!

For my 2024 resolution I have decided to revamp my entire portfolio and go back through and redo each course on Udemy that I have for programming. I am doing so as I am closing the end of my Master’s in Software Engineering and really want to pick everything back up. I started with the Complete Unity Course 3d, as it was the first course I bought on Udemy back in 2015.

Fast forward I have done quite a bit in Unity and programming, gotten my degree, and want to revisit these projects - only BUILD on them.

The first project from the course is the Obstacle course game we make. That’s fun and all, but what if I take that and turned it into a single player Fall Guys clone, add some mobile controls and have that as my first project of the year.

I have started record some of this work, albeit a bit late, for YouTube dev logs of my progress. Ok, ok, so no more delay - here is Viking Raiders!

Viking Raiders is a single player 3D PvE obstacle type of platformer. The goal of the game is to reach the end first, or at all, to keep raiding different levels. There will be lots of different obstacles to evade, and death is probable. The game is designed to be a simple PC / Mobile game that can be played with a D-Pad / Joystick and a spacebar / Jump button.

Here is the demonstration of the sandbox currently in progress:

There is a wide range of different obstacles to avoid, and here are just so so far:

Boogy Pad
The Boogy Pad is a rotating column that had surfaces to jump on top of and to ride to the other side. Those who fail to make the jump will find themselves in a painful death.
NOTE: Still working on how to get the AI to get onto this.

Dropper
The Dropper randomly drops a random droppable item from a array of game objects that are loaded into it. Currently the objects are only stones that are used to roll down hills towards the players and knock them over.
Dropper

False Wall
The False Wall will be used to lure the players down various paths, where only the correct path will collapse when collided with.
FalseWalls

Launcher
The Launcher is designed to fire a preset projectile straight across. These act like archers, or arrow launchers. Currently they are bugged :frowning: , but at one point were working fine! WIP since I don’t have a mesh decided yet.
Launcher

Spinner
The Spinner is an obstacle that is long and box like, and is designed to spin in a random direction at random speeds. Very fast spinners can knock players down, where most spinners just push players around. Some Spinners have game objects that act as spikes and will kill a player on contact.

Swinger
A Swinger is a game object that swings back and forth on a point. There are currently two types of swingers; the axe and the club. The axe prevents those trying to run through it, and kills anything that comes in contact with its blade. The club is a swinging object that pushes players away.
Swinner

Tilter
A Tilter is a game object that sits flat until a player jumps on it. They are designed with rigidbodys that lock most of their constraints, so that they will flip and rotate on certain axis.
Tilter

Trip Trap
Finally, my favorite - the classic Trip Trap. This obstacle comes in two pieces, the trip and the trap. The trip portion can be setup anywhere and once a player makes contact, the trap will be unlocked causing the objects to roll downhill knocking over / killing players.
TripTrap

Probably the most fun thing I have worked with, that I never have done before was adding a ragdoll and having it trigger when killed - making some COOL death animations.

Death

So far that’s it for now, I have a large Trello board setup that has most of the goals to finishing this game, and feel free to comment any other obstacles you would like to see, or follow along for development progress. Feel free to comment, or ask questions and I will do what I can to respond. Thank you.

Current Progress as of 1/23/24

3 Likes

Forgot to mention, all models being used are the Synty Polygon Vikings Pack. Decided to finally use one of my art assets that I got in Humble Bundles :stuck_out_tongue: .

https://syntystore.com/products/polygon-vikings-pack?variant=47310203588

1 Like

Started working the first map, reduced the number of AI spawns to fit the boats better.

Made the launchers look human, and killable if you get too close.

1 Like

Small update, been super busy with college and what not…

Three big updates:
-Main Menu added
-NPCs now can die
-Added triggers that can control where NPCs are set to move to, creates a little variation in them to not look all robotic.

Still needs quite a bit of work, and my trello is well… not getting smaller LOL. But I am hoping by end of Feb to be near or at GOLD for Google Play release.

Been working on a bit of the level design. Still needs a lot done to it, but adding in tons of tree variations and grass, as well as doing a bunch of texture painting and smoothing is making me feel pretty good.

Still quite a bit of coding to take care of, but its coming along pretty well. I think my goal of end of Feb release is very achievable.

2 Likes

Been really working on detailing the world and carving the land out more to look better. Been a huge effort, but I think its really starting to pay off.

Hello everyone! So yeah, development definitely slowed down and I am way behind where I want to be - but it hasn’t stopped! Lots of development has been done!

I have added randomization to all the raiders that spawn with you, so now your army doesn’t look all like clones. They have a bunch of different options and all appear at random. Really improves the feel I think.

I have been working on the win/lose screens and played around quite a bit with what todo. Ultimately I decided to create them using other 3d assets. These are the first draft and appear in the game, but yet to functionally do anything.
Lose Screen

Win Screen

Also I have added a main menu WIP

Lastly, I have been working quite a bit on the character customizations and in-game shop. The player gets points for kills and raid completion, this will allow them to buy cosmetic customizations for their character. Here is a sample of what you can customize - Left Hip: Battle Horn, Right Hip: Pouch, Left Hand: Giant Fish, Right Hand: Sword, Helmet: Cooking Pot, Other: Raiding Ladder, Right Should Armor. These items don’t do anything, but are just cool cosmetics you can unlock by playing the game.

There is still a bit to do, most major features are complete. I need to add mobile controls, mobile ads, finish up the customization and shop, and get the win/lose screens to be functional. From there on, its all bug fixing! Getting real close for my release!

Right now there is only one map, but I am considering adding a couple more now that the games features are near completion.

1 Like

Also noting: Tilter and Boogy Pad have been scrapped :frowning:

I could not for the life of my figure out how to get the NPC AI to jump across and use them properly :frowning:

1 Like

Pretty rough mockup for the store for buying your customizations / equipping. A lot of the solid color is just temp placeholders, green is the buy button, yellow is for equip. If you have the item already bought it appears greyed out and unable to buy.

I turned it into a scroll rect, seen a 60 second video on how-to. Worked really well!

Here we go, cool update. Got all the different item slots filled out for the inventory, got everything linked up nice and tight with buttons. Looks good so far, need to remake the UI. Overall pretty happy so far.

Well another day, another huge leap in work. I finally got the shop not only UI completed, but also 100% functional! Meet Thorax the Impaler, first customized viking of Viking Raiders!

Freshly equipped with his war axe, fish bucket and giant fish! Ready to take down all that stand in his way!

Completed Store UI, woop woop!

Some more just me fiddling around with the customization.

Working on the post game stats screen. Just visuals for now, but later tonight I will add functionality.

Also, another great edition - I got the ads working! Do I think a bunch of people will play this game? No. But the point of this game was to finish a full game, and really set a milestone for my portfolio.

July Update!

Ok, so school has really gotten a lot of my time - but I still have made a lot of progress.

-Added a menu for pausing in-game and exiting back.
-Added a level select menu.
-Reworked a lot of UI
-Added the win / loss screens.
-Implemented the Ads in game (still need to pause the game, but that should be easy to do).
-Added a knock down and stand up system, but its still super buggy so I haven’t fully implemented it.
-Reworked a lot of the AI to move around things and to be less robotic.
-Some other misc things here and there, like baking lighting and bug fixes.

Still a lot of bugs to track down, but completion is actually looking realistic and around the corner!

Another July Update!

School still eating up a lot of time, but snuck in some features!

-Knockdown is fully working now! It still has some bugs, such as the rotation angle as seen in the video. However, it is now fully implemented in both the player and NPC characters.
-I actually added functionality to the settings menu, you can now enable/disable post processing effects, as well as change the quality settings for the graphics.
-Added ‘bumpers’ to a lot of the obstacle items. Now you can get hit and knocked over, hit over walls, and all sorts of cool stuff. Completing the FINAL piece of the gameplay loop.

I am officially at a point to where all I am doing is adding minor features / bug fixes to finish the game.

Remaining:
-Enable volume settings slider
-Keep persistent settings
-Pause game during AD
-Keep persistent ‘lives’ (this is tracked for ad purposes)
-Fix the fading effect on death/victory
-Fix the launchers firing (they no longer fire at players and fire above the NPCs)
-Track down why sometimes your new customizations won’t load.

I am still pondering if I should create a second level, as well as add treasure to the maps to where players can run and grab it to increase their points. These are all possible future additions, since this is only a portfolio project.

Additionally, I need to implement the standard mobile controller. Not really an issue, its a easy drag and drop.

Finally, the video of the knockdown and settings!

Privacy & Terms