Mirror doesn't create seperate objects?

I’m trying to mirror the roof a second time in the low poly course, and mirroring the object creates a single object rather than 2, I’ve tried turning off ‘merge vertices’ and it doesn’t change anything. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here, using 2.93.1 if that makes a difference.

1 Like

In my (as yet limited) experience there are two ways to get a mirror modifier to work:

1. Use the object’s origin to mirror around
  2. Use another convenient object to mirror around.

Out of the box the modifier uses your object’s origin. Out of the box, an object’s origin is in the centre of its geometry. That means when you initiate the modifier, you might not see the mirror copy because it can be exactly on top of the original. To actually see the mirror copy you’ll either need to move the origin of your object, or you need to use the “Mirror Object” input box to pick another object. I almost always find it easier to use method 2, especially when I want my mirrored copy equidistant on another side of that object. With the roof of the dormer, I use the dormer itself as the object around which to mirror.

Maybe this isn’t your problem. If the mirror copy does show up, but you can’t select it separately, that’s normal – it’s not “real” yet, it’s just a projection of the mirror modifier. To make it real, first you need to apply the modifier (now it’s real), and because the modifier creates the mirror copy inside the original object, then you need to separate the objects (p), by selection if they are connected, by loose parts if not. In the case of the roof you don’t actually need to separate it; you can just apply the mirror, and you can then make changes to each side of the roof individually in edit mode.

2 Likes

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.

not sure what you are trying to explain. But using a mirror modifier will always result in a single object. Because you can edit only one half of this object.
How the original half is mirrored depend on the AXIS and the mirror point, default 0,0,0,

1 Like

Privacy & Terms