Minimal chess set

I went with a minimalist wooden board. I modelled them after a set I inherited from my father, it’s very old. My cycles render is a bit washed out.

7 Likes

Welcome to this site.

Very nice all wood set and board.

Perhaps the white pieces could be a different, whiter, wood so they show up more on the white squares?

1 Like

You’re right! I’m converting my C4D material library to a Blender 3.0 asset library, I’ll see if I can find a nice lighter wood material.

2 Likes

Yes, you need to spend more time on the lighting aspect.

• Don’t put lights close to the board, but farther away and then increase the wattage.
  • Start with one lamp the key-light. Increase wattage without overburning the white. Then add lights to light the too dark spots.
  • Try to use HDRI images, which generates an environmental lighting map (more natural)
  • Also a white back ground doesn’t help if your subject is also light in color.

I do have an HDRI and a single far away area light, but I’ll play with my options (different hdri, backdrop color, wood material) to improve.

I increased the contrast between the materials, tweaked the key light size, position and brightness, changed the camera, added the DOF and fixed a problem with overlapping geometry on the board :slight_smile: The table is grey, a backgrond photo suggest a café, switched to tandard instead of Filmic view transform. Thanks for the feedback!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms