Milo the Flying Squirrel

Hello again everyone!

This is what I did for the furry heads section of the “Complete Blender Creator: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners”. I wish I’d been more active on the forum for the last couple of months. But a lot has happened, graduated, got married, had to find a job etc :sweat_smile:. But I’m pleased to say that even though I had to take a couple of breaks from Blender, I have now finally finished this furry heads project! It is called “Milo The Flying Squirrel”, because I finished it on my nephew Milo’s 8th birthday.

So let’s see what I have to share about this project.

The sculpting was pretty straight forward, just used the tools as we were shown in the course. But I knew that I wanted to animate my squirrel, so to make things easier later, I decided to learn retopology.

Grant Abbitt shows you the basics of retopology in a 3 part series. Here’s part 1:

You can also get some better understanding of topology from this video:

Before Retopo:

After Retopo:

My retopology was not spectacular. But it did the job. The amount of tris went down from roughly 11 million to 27 thousand. I tried to keep poles to a minimum, but it was hard. In the images you can also see the seams for my UV unwrapping.

For UV unwrapping CG cookie shows some good techniques in this video.

For texture painting I followed the same stencil painting technique as Grant is using in this video.

Here is my UV unwrapping and texture paint images.

I moved some vertices around while texture painting and some parts got a bit funky, but it ended up ok. You can smart UV unwrap but adding seams and doing it yourself is not all that difficult once you get the hang of it, try!

Texture Paint Foot Bottom

I used real animal pictures such as these for the stencil painting.

I think I got a bit sloppy with the texture painting, because I was eager to finish. I could have blurred the transitions between seams and tidied up a bit more. But I knew that a lot of it was going to be covered up with hair particles anyways.

By the way, I took a picture of my cat’s back for the black and white texture. Haha.

So next up, hair particles.

The hair particles had different 15 sections. You can see them in the animation. Maybe I’ll do some close up renders later. But I’m tired of wating for renders right now. The animation took a couple of days. 80 percent was building BVH…

Anyways, this guy does a realistic fur pikachu, and I learned a lot from it:

Hair Particles

When it comes to hair particles, you just have to experiement to understand how they work. Also remember that you have to adjust the values to the scale of your model. For example, I had to put the diameter of the hair strands way smaller than the video, because my flying squirrel is very small. And if you have several hair particle sections, hide the ones you are not working on to speed up the process (maybe that goes without saying).

In my previous post, I have already mentioned CG Dives series about rigify. This time I took a deeper “Dive” into rigify and learned how to generate my own rig. You can see CG Dives series here:

For the wings I used a copy location, stretch to, and damped track constraint. You can learn more about that here:

I created my own rig. I made a nice little tophat for the head control, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

My topolgy wasn’t perfect. So I had to spend some time weight painting my flying squirrel to makes sure that my rig moved all the parts of the mesh in an acceptable way. To learn more about weight painting, this is a good place to start:

The tree was created with Blenders integrated “Sapling Trees”. I chose the preset Japanese Maple, and then moved the seed value around until I found something that looked like what I wanted. There’s alot of customizing you can do there if you want, too.

You can follow this tutorial for the sapling trees:

Here you can also see how to do a cool little tree wind animation, which I didn’t do.

The snow was also create with Blenders integrated “Real Snow”.

IMPORTANT. If you want even more realistic snow than in my animation, go to Render Properties > Feature Set > And set it to experimentel (not sure if you still need to do that in later versions). I didn’t notice that out until I rendered out half of my animation and I didn’t want to start over.

You can see how to use Blender’s Real Snow here:

Animating the everything was just classic moving controls and key framing.

You can learn ahow to do slow motion effect in your animations by checking out this video:

I tried his technique, but my animation was just one big strip and I didn’t want to modify action seperately, so I just cut my strip into parts and scaled them where I wanted the animation to go into slow motion. I really want to take his “Alive!” course later. Looks like there’s a lot of quality content in there, and I’m becoming increasingly interested in animation.

I used 4 different cameras in my animation. Moving and key framing cameras I think they already showed in the course.

You can see how to switch between cameras with markers here:

Also the track to constraint can also come in handy:

Finally I wanted to recap what I’d learned from the bowling scene, so I did a little snow breaking simulation. What I did was, separate a piece of the “Real Snow” by selected the piece in edit mode and pressing P, then move it to where you want it, and use cell fracture. Look at this tutorial for more details:

I live in China, and unfortunately my VPN stopped half way through my project, so I had to watch tutorials a lot on my phone’s vpn while working in Blender on my computer, and therefore didn’t save as many links as I normally do.

I think that’s all that I have to share now. Hopefully there is some useful stuff here for you guys. Cheers!

11 Likes

I’m loving this animation @Gordon as you did a great job of it. :grinning:

Oh, and thanks for the links to all those helpful tutorials. I’ve only seen the 2 about creating trees, and I’ve played with the Sampling add-on, and like it. Now I have a good selection for learning other Blender goodies. :wink:

3 Likes

Wow!! It’s wonderful! Really big and great work!

3 Likes

This was great! I loved the video!

2 Likes

Fantastic animation and as great the explanation of all the things involved, and tutorials for them.

Thank you very much for taking the time to lay all that out for us. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

This is hugely helpful! I get so overwhelmed at the idea of retopologizing.

3 Likes

Thank you :smiley: Sapling trees is a very useful tool, I’m definitely going to use it more in the future. Happy you found some goodies in this post :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Glad you liked it. Thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s my way of giving back after receiving so much feedback and encouragement on this forum :smiley:

3 Likes

I understand that feeling. I was overwhelmed by the idea of retopology first, too. But once you know how to set it up, it’s very straight forward. Then it just takes some trial and error to understand how to create a good flow of topology. I certainly need more practice

2 Likes

It is an awesome animation. Marvelous job :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat:. LOVE it. And thank you so much for taking your time to post all the other tutorial videos. It is very helpful. Lots of useful details and learning materials. Thank you :heart_eyes:.

3 Likes

Thank you :smiley: :smiley: and you’re welcome. Glad you found it useful

2 Likes

Impressive! Great music pairing.

From a couple of your comments I can feel your pain. I think I had 5 different hair sections, but 15… ouch.
I had significant problems with my mesh during the ‘sculped head’ section, which I ended up fixing manually.

I liked they way the hair covered up so much of the imperfections. I definitely recommend trying to fiddle with the hair before trying to get anything underneath it.

The only minor flaw I see is just before halfway when it moves a bit strangely. Maybe a bit of camera movement would cover that up?

Definitely made me laugh. I’m going to bookmark this page so I can take a look at some of the tutorials you mentioned. Thanks!

3 Likes

First of all, thank you for your comment and feedback. Much appreciated! I really enjoy editing my animations with music.

Having many different hair sections actually didn’t bother me. I liked working on sections separately, and it allowed me to change the properties of the hair for different parts of the body.

Yes, it helps to generate the hair particles first to see how it will look on top of the textures, especially when using hair color from emitter.

In retrospect, I think there are a lot of things I could have done better. I got a bit too eager to finish at the end. But could you provide me with a timestamp, I would love to know which part stuck out to you.

I’m glad it made you laugh. Thanks again :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, it helps to generate the hair particles first to see how it will look on top of the textures, especially >when using hair color from emitter.

I was more thinking that if the hair is thick enough, it might not matter what’s under it at all, and you can save the time and just leave it a neutral gray and save the time of UV mapping the parts with hair. But I supposed you can’t get away with as much cheating in a video as you can from a still image.

But could you provide me with a timestamp, I would love to know which part stuck out to you.

At about 14 seconds, for just that one second, he does a but of a ‘fast jump’ to the right without any camera movement. I’ve re-watched it and I can see that it could just be an artistic decision.

I think it stuck out for me because it’s such a short movement without any other movement in the frame. Later on when the motion speeds up, everything else is moving as well, which really ‘sells’ the realism. Funny how the more times you watch it the more normal it seems. But it stood out on the first viewing.

Watching it again I can see all the little movements during the slow motion flight that make it look so realistic, particularly in the second half. And you really nailed that part where it grabs the branch.

I also noticed something strange at 6-7 seconds that I don’t think you’d see if you didn’t watch it 15 times in a row. There’s a perfectly straight line that doesn’t move which I can’t explain at all. Maybe a blender glitch with the shadows?

3 Likes

Yes, I see what you mean. Assigning a base skin color to the mesh and filling it up with hair would be much faster. But there were two main reasons I did it this way.

(1) Realism. I just couldn’t achieve the hair color variation and pattern I was looking for using only nodes. And stencil painting added that realism I was looking for fairly quickly. I had two color maps, one for the hair and the other visible on the mesh. This was so that I could show hand, feet, and ear skin through the particles while keeping the stencil hair color concistent with the rest of the body. But I did use color ramps for the hair on the inner tail, nose, whiskers, eyebrows, and mouth area.

(2) Less hair particles. Since I had textures underneath that matched the hair, I could get away with using way less hair particles for the bulk of the body. The front and back torso and wings combined almost has less hair than the head. But you wouldn’t really believe it, because increasing the thickness of that hair and of course having textures underneath hid the patchiness. And that really matters when you render 720 frames taking 10 min each.

Speaking of rendering, there’s also this strange thing that happened. With each frame rendered, building the bvh started taking longer and longer time. So if the first frame took 10 min to render, 10 frames later it was up to 17 min. This meant that I had to stop and start the rendering several times. It’s like the the bvh is stored in memory and increases the build time with each frame somehow. I don’t know if there is an option to turn this off or fix it, couldn’t find a solution online.

Yes that was intentional. A flying squirrel can fly at a speed of up to 32km/h. But if it zoomed down that fast it would’ve been impossible to see the details of the model. On the other hand, having slow motion all the way through lost that sense of speed. So I decided to play the animation at normal speed during the camera transitions and slow motion for the rest. I wanted it to look kind of a like an animal documentary when they transition from real speed to slow motion. But I can see how others might think that it looked odd.

Haha, I agree.

I’m glad that part looked ok to you. I was worried that it would look too stiff. I wanted the wing skin to get pulled by gravity and dangle around more, but I just wasn’t able to achieve that. A cloth simulation might have worked with planes for wings and with less hair particles. But my computer just couldn’t handle it with this model.

Yes! I noticed that too. I don’t know why that happened. Probably a glitch as you said. I really have no idea. But it was something that I didn’t notice until later, and I was just sick and tired of rendering, so I left it there. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Privacy & Terms