Metallic unreal 5 question

Slightly unrelated to this course, but I figured the question will be specific enough no to need to go too broad on the answer. I managed to properly import everything into unreal , except the metallic map. Apparently blender metallic map does not correspond to unreal, so I was wondering if there is some way to export the metallic properties. I’ve searched for about an hour, but really didn’t find anything useful, other than try top use yet another software, like substance painter that can export to unreal and paint my textures there.

1 Like

What makes a material metallic?
The same principles work for Unreal too!

Also unclear is your procedural metallic, or material metallic (using bitmaps).

• Metal has by definition no color!
  • Metal reflects light.

So maybe make your metal in Unreal?

2 Likes

Apparently the red channel is what’s used in unreal, rather than greyscale. So for the metallic map for unreal I painted metallic objects in red and non-metallic in black (.5 red channel for the eyes). That seems to work, since when I plug that new metal map it looks the same in blender.

However now when I add the roughness map it reflects way more (all parts not just metallic, although metallic correctly reflect more) than it seem to reflect in blender. After playing around with specular, setting it to 0.03 or so then it looks about the same as in blender.

Lastly I see my seams in unreal even though I don’t see them in blender and my offset is 4px. I am sure the islands are not touching. I think I will tackle that at some other point though, when I create a more high poly character with manual retopology.

Grant I would like to thank you for the amazing course. You explained everything so well and meticulous! I think I am ready now to expand on that knowledge and create my own characters. Now off to go through your textures creation course before I start on custom assets. And I hope there will be a dedicated animation course from you at some point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms