Messed up Laser Prefab

So Rick creates a Laser, then he prefabs it in the prefab folder, then parents it to the ship, then he works on the Laser on the ship rig. He can then drag from the prefab folder his Laser into the scene and it matches. In my scene no updates are made to the Laser in the prefab folder. It has no changes that I made to it by the end of the video. I missed a step or my version of Unity 2021 has something different in it and I’m stuck. Please ehelp

When you make changes to a prefab in the scene, those changes only exist for that instance of the prefab. To replicate those changes back to the main prefab - which you should only do if you want ALL the prefabs to have those settings - you can select the prefab in the scene and then find the ‘overrides’ dropdown at the top of its inspector. From there you can apply the changes back to the original prefab

1 Like

Thanks! Yes I realize I was getting a bit confused at what place in the hierarchy I needed to run the overrides on. I was under the impression that applying overrides on the parenet object (Player Ship) would push the changes to the original prefab laser. GameDev is the best community, questions are answered when you wake up in the morning.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms