Merging Vertices in Blender

Hi, My english is not my first language and I am having a hard time understanding the need use the remove double vertices when creating the Domed_tower. Could you kindly explain me to the reason why we have to do extra steps when putting them together already make the object presentable. I thank you in advance for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Always keep your geometry as efficient as possible. Best practices will help tools work as expected. It is the worst when everything looks okay but it is secretly a mess. Extra polygons or vertices can cause problems. I had a model that would not bevel just because I had overlooked double vertices. Welding 4 vertices made my bevel modifier work again.
Cheers!

3 Likes

The need to remove doubles is basic to good clean geometry. Having messy geometry will make things harder and many tools act not as you expect or want.

A small note to add here, in later than the course creation, ‘remove doubles’ as a descrription has been changed in Blender. The tool to remove double vertices that ate occupying the exact same space is the MERGE, function. Used mainly by selecting all the verts involved, and pressing M and selecting ‘by distance’. That ‘distance’ is in effect exactly on top of each other. (There is the option to make Blender merge vertices a bit further apart in the pop up tool panel, but at this stage you probably should not need that.)

Although the visual impression can look the same without merging the vertices the structure is not.

A basic example would be selection.

In edit mode you can hover the cursor over a part of a mesh and press L for linked, and it will select all the vertices that are linked to the one closest to the cursor. Now, if the vertices have not been merged, (doubles removed) the dome and the body are NOT linked, so only one part would be selected.

This may seem trivial, but it is a basic example, many more tools need to be used with an understanding of what they will affect. Of course there are times when you may not want the connection. However it needs to be a deliberate choice.

Any problem understanding it please keep asking.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! In order to help tools work as expected, making your geometry as efficient as possible by removing double vertices. Got it :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you for replying.

• Messy = harder plus tools not working the way you wanted.
  • Remove doubles is change to ‘By distance’
  • remove double vertices that occupy the same exact space = MERGE

[quote=“NP5, post:3, topic:207449”]
In edit mode you can hover the cursor over a part of a mesh and press L for linked, and it will select all the vertices that are linked to the one closest to the cursor. Now, if the vertices have not been merged, (doubles removed) the dome and the body are NOT linked, so only one part would be selected.
[/quote] Thank you for the example, I understand where you are coming from more clearly now. I appreciate help guys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Don’t forget to remove the inner (hidden) face, when you merge the half dome and cylinder.

1 Like

Oh dear, I didn’t managed to do that before moving on. I just two and two together. If I forgot to clear the “hidden” Face before merging the dome and cylinder, would it also affect the way the tools would work in the future? The same way it does for not removing double vertices. Thank you for the reminder

1 Like

No and yes. It all depends on how you use the object.

You can expect problems using the sub-division modifier, your surface can look strange …
But for now, no problem at all. Just be aware of it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms