Merging Faces

Hi
Just curious. In the example we merge the vertices but we are still ending up with few extra faces. For example, I wanted the simillar output if we have created the periscope with a single cube by pulling off the diagonal Egdes, thus ending up with just 6 faces instead of 14 . How can we achieve the simillar result in this example of periscope created using 2 wedges and a cube?

The only way I know of to merge faces/polys is to “dissolve” the common edge between them. By dissolving the edge, rather than deleting it, you get one face that used to be two.

If you do that, however, you “might” still have the verts/points on either end of the edge that was dissolved. You can check by going into vert mode and looking to see if you have any extra verts/points somewhere in the middle of the new larger edges on either side of the merged face. If so, you can dissolve those verts as well, otherwise the edges above, and below, those verts will be deleted if you delete the extra verts, which isn’t what you want.

Thanks @Miss_B

Well I actually did it, thinking it was the exercise!

The way I did it is that I merged the vertices that were in the middle of an edge and merged them to the one at the end of the edge. I had to find the option of to which vertex I wanted the merge though.

Privacy & Terms