Merge by distance

Hey there!

I had a slight problem by the part where we “personalized” the crate. I grabbed the points with “G” and pulled them apart. But some times it seems I pulled a “hidden” point from behind the point I actually wanted to grab. Often times they were the points at the cut lines.

I then selected the whole object, pressed “M” and said merge by distance. Blender said that it removed around 203 verticals. After this is worked fine but I wonder where those verticals came from?

1 Like

A common cause of people ending up with duplicate verts is starting to extrude and thinking they cancel it. it is possible even accidentally to Shift D duplicate more geometry than you realise is selected.

What you have discovered actually is the way to investigate mesh problems, grab a vert and test move it to see if there is another hiding below it! Merge can miss some if they are not extremely close.

2 Likes

As NP5 explained. The extrude command ‘e’ hot-key, expects you to move the object immediately. Press ESC-key to cancel, cancels only the move part, but the extrusion (the copy) is still there. Hence double vertices.

1 Like

Ah, I see! Thank you both! I guess I have used extrude then by accident while getting to know the hotkeys. :smiley:

It’s good to know that the copy still exists after canceling the extrude. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms