Mega Challenge "Furry Heads" fluffy Dodo

Greetings to everyone,

I want to show you my animal of choice, a dodo. I know normaly they have feathers, however I decided to make him more fluffy, like a chick.

I used Metaballs for the beginning and had problems while sculpting, because I didn’t mirror the object, so it was asymmetrical and the sculpt became a little annoying (solved with turning of mirroring in sculpt mode).

For the fur I retopology the body, I felt like, this would be more controlable to decide where the fur should be and where not.

After the fur and texture paint, I watched the videos untill I arrived to the part where the environment get explained. From that point I followed the course again.

My PureRef Board (I mainly referenced to the live action Dodo from Alice in Wonderland):

[Edit]
I tried it with weight painting and the results are similar, how ever I have few strains on the nose, which I can’t get rid of.

6 Likes

Amazing job, and great to see the progress that led to it!

3 Likes

The basic Blender approach for hair particles is to use a weight-painted density map. Which is just a bitmap colored blue for none and red for maximum hair parts.

2 Likes

This little fella is adorable! Great job on the fur and the background.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I will try it out later ^^

Tried it, but I got a few strains I can not get rid of :confused:

2 Likes

Are you sure those faces are weight painted blue?
Because even a small change in blue can have a (randomized) hair strand.

• try to to brush hair out of the way
  • can it be that some hair strands are too long and break through a other part of the model?
2 Likes

It was dark blue on my Screen, however I went over it a few more times and removed a little bit from the forehead aaand then it worked, thanks :+1:

2 Likes

The Dodo lives again! Nice bird model.

2 Likes

Yess, they are coming back and hopefully they are not mad about what happend in the past (°L_°)

And thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s so fluffyyyyyy!

Lovely model :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks ^^

1 Like

Privacy & Terms