Medieval houses on an island, at night

I suspect it would- just elongated. It does not have the “epic” vibe as the Odyssey, Iliad, or the Aeneid, Nor like the more recent Lord of the Rings. but it does feature some mythical creatures and has a really long story.

But as a work, it was intended to be written for a younger audience, with “okay” writing (and certainly not written in verse) and reads like many “melancholic teen is actually special” motif that we had for many years now. So it seems more “fairy-taleish”, i.e. some low-fantasy with high magic. Its length is something regularly employed in many modern books, even if they could (and should) be distilled to only one or a few. But the length might rather be the publishers fault rather than the writer’s.

Which then begs the question- is The Wind in the Willows a fable?

2 Likes

@Zangk

To be honest, I’ve never read any of the Harry Potter books nor Wind in the Willows, so it would be difficult for me to answer. I’ve seen the Harry Potter movies, but I don’t really remember anything about them.

Reading your post above just got me thinking about how the series in general might be classified.

I think I remember hearing something about Harry Potter being started out as some bedtime stories that J.K. Rowling told to her kids, and later turned into a book, but of course and as you mentioned, the publisher likely had a heavy hand in stretching it out as far as it went.

I think I remember the first two or three movies were pretty well fantasy story based or so, but one of the movies really took off in a completely bureaucratic direction and I don’t even remember watching the rest of them after that.

2 Likes

I read one, and watched a couple of movies (Harry Potter), but this is not an endorsement.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms