Medieval Age - Collab 2021W04 Short Diary

This time diary will be probably quite short. I almost given up, but due to FedPete’s flexibility in the deadline :grin: I decided that maybe I’ll manage to do something. My original idea was to make a simple scene inspired by legends of King Arthur (Excalibur floating just above the lake, with a lady’s hand holding it). Most probably will not do a full scene, but at least will go there partially.

My PureRef board looks like that:

Quite sparse, but should be enough at least to do part of the work. The ‘ideal’ outcome would be this:

but with whole sword visible.

So far I got a baseline model of a sword:

and with very simple materials:

Learning goals this time are simple:

1. Keep practicing (regular practice > everything else)
  2. Continue learning texturing with substance.
6 Likes

:partying_face:

1 Like

Sword: UV Unwrapped, exported and started painting

I need to gather more references :thinking:

EDIT: but before that I needed to redo UVs, as there were huge seams visible :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hm, I think it’s magical enough for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aaand… finished. Not enough energy to model/sculpt a hand, but still looks OK.

Edit: another camera angle, just to show the details of the sword:

3 Likes

Very nicely done. I’m especially liking the emissive signs. The basic shape reminds me of a sword I did years ago, though not in Blender.

1 Like

Thank you!

The shape was one of the first designs I found when I googled for “medieval sword blueprint” :sweat_smile:. Though I did some research, and it seems that this design matches (roughly) arthurian legends times :smiley:

Amazing those medieval led lighting inserts! :rofl:

A really great item. Have to find a way to squeeze it into other projects!

If there was a real Arthur he was a Romano-British leader who fought against the invading Anglo-Saxons some time in the late 5th to early 6th century.
The medieval knights in plate armour are of romance novels of the medieval period. Think period Rambo Swartzeniger sort of thing.

Though dark ages had fine swords too.

1 Like

What can I say, that’s what the movies showed. They are accurate source of historical knowledge! :joy:

I think Excalibur was forged out of love, hasn’t it? :joy:

(and a sword was really useful thing on the road :joy: )

Phew, I barley escaped. You didn’t notice the typo in the runes :joy:

(TBH, I would really need to spent a lot of time on this if I wanted to be sure that I’m even remotely accurate, both in terms of legends and the actual sword. I gave up on the hope of being accurate more or less the time I started digging Oakeshott typology :stuck_out_tongue: . And for the time being of modelling I subscribed to the version of the legend that the sword was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake. So it’s magical, and as magic goes I can explain any historical inaccuracy :grin: )

1 Like

I would not want to be a spelling pedant. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms