Mech so far in Cycles and Eevee

So this is my mech so far. Almost got an heart attack when AMD drivers crashed and Blender along with them fearing for two hours of work being lost.
Any construcitve criticism and pointers are welcome. Not sure about light positioning so far.

4 Likes

Welcome to this site.
Take some time to look around and take part.

A fine little lightweight mech. Complimentary background too.

Blender 3.1 is just out and it includes better AMD/Mac graphics card support (tech stuff). Only for the most recent cards so far I believe, but just might help with those crashes.

Thx for the welcome.

I used Blender 3, but I don’t think I upgraded to 3.1 yet. I will do that. Before Blender 3.0 I could only user my Ryzen 3700X for rendering images, I couldn’t use my 5700XT at all. I should test which option is faster if images get more complex.

One thing I once again learn (besides constant ctrl+s even if working on small details) is I need to ponder visibility of details. I tend to model little details that look nice close up, but get lost in the bigger picture from afar. Like this mech has the ends of the laser noozle slightly rotated to give it a more alien look, Totally invisible in this picture.

On the other hand it is hard to tell which details will be missing for a better look later. Guess it will come with experience. But using tutorials pretty much helps to learn techniques which can’t be learned by dabbling or trials and error. Hopefully I will soon learn about one of my weaker spots: Texturing and shading.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms