Maybe not the best question -- Should WE be doing BOTH?

I am a bit confused… lol

Rick? should we do both approaches?
or
Should we be doing one or the other?

Thanks

Never mind – near the end of the video Rick answered this question.
Thanks mate…

Could have told me earlier on tho … lol
just a thought…

Maybe i will do it twice!
lol

One other question.

I have only installed unity (now 3 times) very new kinda old man.

I felt like i did not need to install an older version, but i am to follow the git approach as well as the install asset pack approach.

When it gave me the warning about the older version…
I should have just ignored it right?

because I could have just dealt with version conflicts (which there may not have been any?)

Unity does take 1 gig each install my SSD is getting full

Please advise thanks

Hi Steve,

What exactly did you do? In which context did the warning appear?

You may have multiple versions of Unity installed. However, it is generally not recommended to import your project into different versions of Unity unless there is a very good reason for it such as a bug which prevents you from working on your project.

Make a backup of your project folder on a regular basis by duplicating it. Save the duplicated folder somewhere else, maybe on an USB stick. To save some free space, you could delete the Library and Temp folders in the backup folder.

Hello

What I did was install an older version (which I feel was probably not necessary?)

The reason I did was when using the git clone for class (when I chose to clone using source tree) I was warned that unity recommends to install the same version as the repo.

… the question remains
It wasn’t really necessary for me to install right?
the difference between what I have (2019.4.20f1 LTS) is not that different from (2019.3.0f1)…

my machine is slow as well for unity to install again 15 minutes or so.

Major upgrade i could understand doing it but minor that is my question (I could live without it right?)
thanks

Bottom line for classes i should not even worry about it right?

If you are in doubt, always make a backup before you proceed. If something breaks, there won’t be nothing to worry about because you could restore your project. I do the same.

If you download the course project from GitHub, you could import it into a different version of Unity. Unity will always warn you. Test the project anyway. If it works, save the project in your new version of Unity and keep using that version.

What I meant is: If you create a new project with, for example, Unity 2019 and develop a huge part in it, don’t update just because Unity released a new version. And if you updated to, for example, Unity 2020, don’t downgrade your project to 2019 again or import it into different versions.

There is a popular saying, maybe you’ve already heard it: Never change a running system. If you go by it and if you make a backup on a regular basis, it’s unlikely that you’ll lose your entire project if something goes wrong.

I’ve just noticed that your thread is for the inventory course, not for the Unity 2D and 3D courses where I’m a teaching assistent. Unfortunately, I don’t know what Rick said about different versions of Unity, so my advice would be to simply do what he does (if you aren’t that familiar with computers) or to go with your guts (if you are familiar with computers).

It’s impossible to tell how different Unity 2019.4 is from 2019.3 just by looking at the numbers. As for me, I wouldn’t worry too much about it, though. I would import the project into my preferred version and test it. If it works, it works.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms