Mayan Pyramid (Insetting)

I see a question on the course that asks why insetting by exactly .1 works on each step of the mayan pyramid. The question I saw raised 18 days ago doesn’t seem to have an answer that makes sense. The first step is 10% of 10, which is 1, but the next step’s face would be 9 units along x and y, 10% would be .9, etc. That really threw me for a loop. If it’s truly 10% of the face you are insetting, then it would be 10% of that current face, right? Not 10% of the original face.

I was thinking the same thing thing. My first though was that if the goal was to take 1 unit off each side then 2/20=.1, 2/18=.11, 2/16=1.25, etc. But this makes the upper steps much deeper.

I realize there are other ways to do this, but I want to know how the tool works for when precision is needed.

Edit: I tested the process with bases of different sizes. It seems that the ratio is based off the initial size of the object. So even though the face is smaller, it is doing percentages off of the 20x20 face. Makes sense, I guess, in that it simplifies the math for applications like this one.

Privacy & Terms