Math - Rotation and Interpolation - Section Wrap-up

Congratulations on making it to the end of the section!
I hope you enjoyed this exploration into rotation and interpolation and learnt a few new skills along the way.

Please feel free to leave any feedback on the section here, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Was it too easy or too challenging?
What parts did you find the most and least useful?
Do you feel more or less confident with math following this section?
Did we miss anything that you think should have been covered in more detail?
What interesting problems have you solved in your own projects thanks to the knowledge you’ve gained from this section?

During the AMA many months ago I actually refered to Quaternions as my nemesis ahah. They are a more clearer now for sure!

I think it helped to abstract from the fact that quaternions don’t represent rotations as we see them in our 3D world, but they are a mathematical tool to achieve the desired behaviour in our games.

In the first lectures, when we dealt with imaginary numbers, seeing the rotation on the 2D plane, showed me where we would be going and I immediately figured it out that by adding some more dimensions we could achieve 3D rotations.

I think my main problem before was the lack of the concept of imaginary numbers - an imaginary number to the power of ‘x’ being a rotation, didn’t quite fit the traditional real number “let’s add pens and pencils together” arithmetics. Abstracting and playing around with its powers made perfect sense to me and was a fundamental base to build up my knowledge.

Onto the next section! I’ve never learned probability and statistics for video games my ‘Random.Ranges and basic averages and such’ have been sufficing so far, so I’m excited to improve on this!!

Great work @Nuno_Santos!
Understanding complex numbers is definitely the first step to understanding quaternions and I’m glad to hear that you now have a better handle on them :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms