Math - Coordinate Systems

In this lecture we wrap our heads (and our hands) around left- and right- handed coordinate systems and the concept of chirality.
We also look at a few ways to handle a switching between them so you can avoid the awkward rotational issues that come with importing models from 3d modeling software (traditionally right-handed) to your game engine (traditionally left-handed).

How do you usually handle the switch between coordinate systems?

1 Like

This is going to be my favorite section! :smiley:

To be honest I haven’t really handled the switch between coordinate systems much. In fact, I never really noticed it that much. But now with this video I have an even better understanding of how imported from Blender or Maya can impact the rotation in Game Engines. Thank you for the awesome lecture Gary! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks KB! Glad you found it helpful.

The most common solution I see (and use) in game dev is to make the model a child of another object. That way you can rotate the model to the correct orientation without affecting the parent.
It’s a quick and easy way to reset things and this approach has other benefits too, like making it easy to swap out the models during development.

The left-handed and right-handed list might need a little update, since Godot now seems to adopt a right-handed coordinate system, since nowdays (checking version 4.0.2) the Z axis is pointing “forward” and X axis is pointing to “the right”.

Enjoying the course so far. Hopefully I will be able to apply much of what I have been taught to shader creation.

Privacy & Terms