Math classes?

This lecture totally lost me. I could really use some math classes. I hope that this is not going to prevent me from learning how to program on my own.

3 Likes

I agree. A 3D math course would be awesome!

Kimotion! I believe in you. I know you may feel like you did the whole course all over again for nothing and there is no hope in understanding the material, believe me, I’ve been there. In fact, I still deal with it today.

I wanna recommend the Math For Games course to help brush up on your math skills and to learn some new things.

Next, I want you to stop putting so much pressure on yourself. Now, take this moment to look at what you are struggling at. Now get a blank piece of paper and start thinking about the logic. What problem are you trying to solve? Once you figure out all the logic you have succeed as a programmer. Now all you have to do is figure out how to write your logic in a way where the compiler will understand.

I believe in you @Kimotion! You got this! :+1:

Hi Kevin-Brandon!

I’ve been meaning to respond to your message a while ago. I deleted my original post before you posted your response because I felt it came across as too whiny!

Is there a link where I can find out more about Math for Games? I found the following class but not sure if it’s what you were referring to:

Thanks again for your very thoughtful message!

Hi Kimotion,

I think @Kevin-Brandon referred to Ben’s/@garypettie’s new maths course. See here:

The course is currently on sale. If you don’t see the reduced price, please check this page.

Gary is very active here in our forum. If you find a lecture/topic in his course hard to grasp and ask a question here, he usually replies very quickly. :slight_smile:

Hi Nina,

Thank you so much! I’m definitely looking into this.

-Jeff

Hi @Kimotion! If you have any questions about the math course or math in general, feel free to ask.

We actually spend a whole section looking at trigonometry and go into a reasonabe amount of detail when it comes to radians, sine waves, etc.

I’m not sure which part of the math you’re struggling with in this particular lecture, but this gif might help to clarify a few things:

• The angle of the green line controls the the position of the red dot on the circle.
  • If you project that dot onto the graph you get the sine wave.
  • If you ignore the movement of the sine wave on the x-axis, you can see the smooth linear movement of the dot on the y-axis.

So you’re taking this smooth linear movement and using it to affect the horizontal motion of the platform.

The amplitude and wavelength of the sine wave is being controlled by the radius of the circle and the speed in which the dot is traveling around it, so when you change the amplitude and wavelength in your code, this is really what you’re doing.

This is the basic idea and hopefully it gives you enough information to get through the blocker you’re currently facing in this lecture. We cover this particular topic in a lot more detail in the math course, so I hope to see you there! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms