Manual retopology vs Quad Remesh

Hi there.

Just trying to sort this thing in my mind.

Auto retopology tools are good for “static” items or maybe even prototyping.
Manual retopo seems to be for meshes that deform a lot, ie. not static.

Am I correct in this line of thinking?

Also, Retopo at end of Sculpt vs retopo Once main shapes are done? Is this just preference or is there a reason for it? Watching a few Retopo videos, people seem to do it at the end with shrink wrapping and using the multi-res for definition, vs what we are doing now which is sculpting on the multi-res.

Thanks

2 Likes

Manual retopo is a lot of work. So they invented auto retopo (remesh), ready with a mouse click but on some points in the mesh not so optimal. There are better plug-ins that do a better job. Or even other 3D packages.
Some pro’s switch between packages, because they like functions better in other packages (houdiny, Maya, Z-brush, Blender …)

If you do it by hand (which I would advice, as part of the learning curve) you have more control over the mesh on places where it does count to have a optimal mesh. Like elbows, face expresions, etc.

Auto retopo doesn’t know it is part of a face, or elbow.

1 Like

Manual retopo is always better whatever the item.

After that everything is a compromise.

Where paid work is concerned most frequently saving time matters more than quality if it is ‘good enough for the purpose’. This is pretty much universal in life and all trades.

There is another element of personal choice and expectations, of hobbyists and ‘artists’, many want the one click easy way. Like flat pack furniture instead of hand carpentry making proper joints etc. Nothing right or wrong just choices we all make.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms