Manual Orc Face Retopology WIP

What a challenge retopology still is from Maya to Blender! :sleepy:

Good manual topology is still pretty new to me, so any feedback is welcome! Also, if anyone has found any good preferably free add-ons that help the process do share :grin:

I also am liking 3.0, my scene is a little bit faster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use polyquilt add-on. has some handy options, but again you need to learn them.

And @NP5 mentioned another tool recently (I forgot).

Blender has smooth vertice options (to get mo square faces). But then you lose some vertices details, you need to tweak them.

I thinke the eye, mouth could use more edge loops.

2 Likes

Poles, tris, can’t be avoided. Place them at a location, where them do less harm.

And I use these cheat sheets to increase, decrease loops.

6 Likes

Looks good, just depends how low poly you want or need to go.

It was PolyQuilt I found a while back. Though I am perfectly happy hand retopologising, seems easy process, just a matter of deciding the loops and connecting them.

3 Likes

Oo thanks for the feedback and the cheat sheets! I remember taking a course on face retopology and seeing those, do you know where you got them from?

2 Likes

I will check PolyQuilt out, thank you!

1 Like

From the deep, deep web … :wink:
Not sure, but when I see something useful then I copy it to my local folder.

2 Likes

very impressive - well done, my topology is horrible, lol xxx jess

1 Like

Thanks! I posted an update on the whole body being almost done as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I somehow prefer manual retopology while planning for the proper loops cuts in advance.

For quick works, I sometimes prefer Instant Meshes, but do prefer avoiding sharp minute details like teeth , spikes etc while using this. I would prefer to work upon them post instant meshes retopology with Multiresolution Modifier.

Instant Meshes

1 Like

Oo I’ll look into it, thanks!

nice work. xxx jess

1 Like

Privacy & Terms