Making things right

This is the third duck I made so far:

However, I want to make the top bill perpendicular to the face, 180 degrees straight:

How should I do this? Also, If parented bones are deleted after posing, does the figure keep its pose?

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean, but you can weight paint areas to be not influenced by ANY bone.

You probably need to “bake” the shape, using a shape keys.

2 Likes

A duck’s bill works just like a human mouth: the top part is immobile, and only the bottom part moves up and down via the jaw. FedPete’s approach will work for you here, but ideally, your armature would not even have a bone dedicated to the upper part of the bill. To oversimplify, the top bill and the head are supposed to be all one piece.

I suspect what actually happened here though is that you sculpted it at this angle, and you’re now looking for a way to straighten it out. Not really an ideal thing to do with fine details because you would lose those by making such a big adjustment to the shape, but at this stage you should be fine. What I would try is:

• Gradually grabbing parts of the top bill and pulling them approximately into place
  • Smoothing the bill out to remove the golf-ball dimpling that you’ll be left with
  • Then thickening the bill out again where necessary, since the end result will definitely be a little thinner than what you have now.

No, because the pose data is part of the armature, not the mesh. Unless you have a really good reason to delete the armature, I would leave it in place - what if you change your mind later about what pose you want?

2 Likes

If you delete a bone then the weights are lost and the pose is lost. Now if you have a pose that you want to keep and want to remove the armature you can go to the modifiers tab of the properties editor with mouse cursor over the armature modifier either press ctrl+a or click drop-down and click apply. This will apply the pose. You also have apply as a shape key if you want the default and the pose. You can also save the pose as a shape key.

2 Likes

Guys, I fixed it. I went into edit mode, selected the bill, made it straight, and patched it up with a joined object. And @BH67, I did sculpt it that way, without knowing that only the bottom part moves.

4 Likes

Whatever works; good job =)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms