Making the rocky base - unable to sculpt

When I try to move the lighthouse onto the rocky base just to see if it is large enough to accomodate for later on, as soon as I go back into sculpt mode I can’t sculpt the rocky base anymore.

None of the brushes will work.

How do you get back into it so that you can edit the rocky base again to make it larger?

1 Like

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.

I didn’t do the lighthouse challenge, so do you mean realy sculpting or just block modeling?

Use the drop down top left to select the mode you are in.?? Show screen shop will help us.

1 Like

A few of things I can think of:

• If you’re at the point of moving the lighthouse onto it, you might have already applied the decimate modifier to the rocky base. If that’s the case, it will seem like the brushes aren’t doing much because the topology will be very low-poly.
  • In Object Mode, you might still have the lighthouse selected instead of the rocky base.
  • Because the base is made using Dyntopo sculpting, make sure you haven’t accidentally turned Dyntopo off.
  • Most likely of all, check that you haven’t done something in your brush settings, especially having a radius of 0, strength of 0, or accidentally clicking the “+New” button in the brush settings texture panel. All of those will make a brush non-functional, and the radius and strength would carry over to all other brushes too.

Hopefully there’s something in there that helps you.

1 Like

Not sure anymore, I used s to scale it larger because no matter what I did, even going back and following how to get into sculpting of the rock. It would not sculpt. The brush and circle was there.

Either way, I’ve abandoned it.

1 Like

Ok, but what was the strength of the brush (0 ?)

And how did you create/get the brush …

1 Like

I’d have to do the lesson again to remember. I was just following whatever strength/size that was said in the video.

1 Like

Ok!

Remember, your actions’ outcome is not always the same as in the video’s.
This is because, for example, the scale of your object is different.
Or you forgot to apply the scale of your object!

The default cube object has a scale of 1.
If you edit the cube to change the mesh.
You can also scale the mesh. Select all and scale.
The cube object has still the scale 1.

But if you scale the object, say a factor 2.
The mesh changes along, but internally it is still based on scale 1.
That’s why you need to APPLY the object scale (in example 2) to the internal mesh (being 1).
As a result, both will be scale 1.

If you don’t do this you encounter strange behavior, because most features work on the mesh (with different scales) and not on the object.

Have fun!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms