Make your pixel art way better in Unity

Hello everyone!

I’m here with a small test on how to make your pixel art look even better in Unity in very easy steps.

Here’s a simple brick wall:

Captura de Pantalla 2022-11-19 a la(s) 0.57.09

As you can see, it doesn’t look particularly bad, but it doesn’t look professional, it’s missing something, even tho the wall interacts with the light properly, the light is not interacting with the bricks at all, it’s just there to reveal the wall, making it look quite simplistic.

To make the light interact with the bricks properly you’ll need to create a normal map for the texture and an occlusion map, which are fairly simple to create, just import your texture to any image editor software like photoshop or, gimp, both have filters to create those sort of maps with the press of a button. Here’s the difference:

BrickWallNormalOcclu

As you can see, the improvement is huge, but that’s not all you can do, if you add some post-processing effects the look improves dramatically, here’s a side to side comparison of both the pixel art texture without any maps, and with normal and occlusion maps.

As you can see, there’s not just an improvement in color and lights, making it look more 3 dimensional, even if it isn’t, but also on other effects like bloom, you can barely see it in the left wall, but it is quite noticeable in the top right wall.

Adding normal maps and occlusion maps can take your pixel art to the next level, try it out in your next project!

3 Likes

That looks really good!

Or you could probably use Bounding Box Software - Materialize ? :slight_smile: I didn’t try using it with pixel art, but used it with some stylized textures in the past and it worked great.

1 Like

I didn’t know ‘Materialize’ was a thing! I’ll certainly check it out.

One of the issues I came across with pixel art and mapping is that I had to modify the map manually, in some instances, pretty heavily to make it look as it should, which isn’t a lot of work but opens the risks of making mistakes, you can actually see a huge mistake in the images I showed in here.

Most of the time, if you are not being too picky, simply using filters works just fine.

MistakesWereMade

1 Like

Materialize has quite a few options that can do the filtering.

I bet there is more softwares that can do that and better (probably with AI too), Materialize has been around for quite a while. One example that comes to my mind is Substance 3D Stager that potentially can do even better job than materialize (but that’s something on my ‘to learn’ list :smiley: )

A good software for making these is Sprite Illuminator They also have other useful tools for sprites and texturing. You do have to buy a license though.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms