macOS Catalina

i had A LOT of trouble trying to open the project

i quickly found out i couldn’t even go through the programming quickstart without failure
(by creating a new c++ project, not the normal new project)

i can’t find the link but some forum said that 4.22.x doesn’t support xcode 12+
so i checked my xcode version and it was 12.x

$ /usr/bin/xcodebuild -version

so i had to move Xcode to trash, restarted and downloaded xcode 11.x
see accepted answer here

one link said to run this but i kept having problems with it
something along the lines “software server can’t be reached”

$  xcode-select --install

i can’t find this link either but i then had to run

$ sudo xcode-select --reset
$ mv ~/Downloads/Xcode.app/ ~/Applications
$ xcode-select --switch ~/Applications/Xcode.app

now the version is finally 11.x

$ /usr/bin/xcodebuild -version

maybe later versions of unreal engine support xcode 12+. if that’s the case, please consider using that version as this is probably a huge blocker for some mac users coming to this course.

2 Likes

Have you looked into alternative ways of doing it?

Thanks for letting the community know even I was stuck on the same thing… although it kept on giving me different error, the error it is still giving is

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 10.01.14 PM

I have tried to delete the binary and try opening it multiple times. I have also tried redownloading the whole file multiple times.
Also for some reason I am not able to get the logs… in the file.

1 Like

I would just like to clarify that I am not facing any problems… After downloading the supported version of Xcode (Xcode11) It started working…

In case the rest of you guys facing the same problem don’t know where to get apple Xcode 11, you will have to go to Apple Developers site.

Here’s the link for xcode 11.7. Be sure and rename it before you put it in your apps folder so it won’t overwrite xcode 12.
https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?q=xcode

I have the course on Udemy as well and this is in the mac prerequisite installs as well as here on this site. I think it was the third lesson in section 1.

Jenn

I want to add I had a similar issue when i downloaded 11.7. I changed the name of it so it would not overwrite xcode 12, which caused my issue. To fix, I renamed 11.7 back to the original (Xcode) and then renamed Xcode 12 to Xcode-12.2. The program was looking for Xcode.

I switched to a m1 Max MacBook Pro recently, and the problem has started again… apple won’t let me use xcode 11, due to the fact that this laptop runs big sur, which does not support the Xcode 11… I really don’t know what to do here… does anyone know what could possibly help me?

Open up the two .Target.cs files in the Source/ directory in any text editor (like visual studio code).

Then change the files to look like this:

// Fill out your copyright notice in the Description page of Project Settings.

using UnrealBuildTool;
using System.Collections.Generic;

public class BullCowGameEditorTarget : TargetRules
{
	public BullCowGameEditorTarget(TargetInfo Target) : base(Target)
	{
		Type = TargetType.Editor;

// 👇 add these
		bOverrideBuildEnvironment = true;
		AdditionalCompilerArguments = "-Wno-unused-but-set-variable";
		// 👆 Add these

ExtraModuleNames.AddRange( new string[] { "BullCowGame" } );
	}
}

Now try opening the project again and it should work. You lose this build error, but at this stage I don’t think that’s super important.

Privacy & Terms