Low poly, pinching on arm when rotated too much

Hi there,
Please see below, an example of pitching when I force too much the rotation on the elbow.
I know it is somehow unavoidable when using low poly characters, but I think I watched somewhere that there was some simple option like “keep volumes” or something like that that might help a bit with that, but I can’t find it now.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Tomas

BigManPunch05

1 Like

There is such a constraint to use on bone armatures.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/animation/constraints/transform/maintain_volume.html

Alternatively proportional editing should be adjustable to soften the pinching when hand moving the mesh.

2 Likes

Thanks NP5.
I’ll investigate on how to apply that constraint to this case. On my first tests not going very well (if I increase the volume, kind of all the model gets increased). Probably not applying it correctly, will review it more calmly.

1 Like

Blender has options to keep volume, as NP5 explained.
But, seeing your image. It can also be that your vertex weighting is not correctly implemented/working.
As in, some vertices will not be influenced by the bone (stay in place, because the bone weight is 0).

2 Likes

Thanks FedPete, that is a good point. To be honest I didn’t verify the weight distribution on that bone, so maybe something can be done about it. Will review and come back.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I think I’ve corrected the defect by reassigning the weights.
Weight painting is kind of hard but this is my take on it:
Previously the top part of the forearm was influenced by the upperarm.
And the pose of the two bones were going to different directions.

Weight02
Applied weight painting to the top of the sleeve for the forearm so that it has more influence on the top part of the bone.
Weight03

The results do look better, at least for my pose.

Weight05

Thanks both for your tips.

2 Likes

Great solution.
Yes, it’s hard on both low and high poly models.
But with high, poly you have more vertices to work with.
Als implementing more bones and or in combination with shape keys you can do a lot.
But still a lot of work. Best it to practice on small models.

Have fun!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms