Lost all Scene objects when asked to reload

Doing this lecture with Unity 2020.2.7f1 and when I changed the scene name from Sample Scene to Sandbox all my objects disappeared when I reloaded it. I prefabbed them so it was easy to fix, would be a bit scarier if it happened later in the project when everything isn’t prefabbed.

Anyone know why everything would disappear on reload? I tried to recreate it and I couldn’t get it delete everything again.

2 Likes

Hi Bhekr

I just recreated this scenario. When you reload after a name change then it will only transfer anything that has been saved. I don’t think the version of unity has any bearing on this.

For example,

Save your scene.
Add some objects.
Reload the scene.
Any objects added after the last save won’t be there.

2 Likes

Instructors should PLEASE add this to the vid. Have to restart because this wasnt mentioned

3 Likes

This is still an issue with 2020.3.25f1. Just happened to me, and changing the name back to SampleScene did NOT restore the objects. Just lost everything.

This happened to me as well. I think you must SAVE the original scene before renaming/reloading. As Bhekr mentioned though, the prefabs were saved so it wasn’t bad to fix.

Still missing a hint in the video one year later…

He does mention saving the scene before continuing with the rename, but perhaps a hint would also help. I lost part of my previous project (Obstacle Course) because Unity crashed while I was working and the unsaved work was lost. So best practice is to press Ctrl + S a lot!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms