Lose Collider weirdness

Is there a reason at this stage that the lose collider would be activated?

The ball is attached to the paddle and if I just idle the mouse cursor, the lose collider is triggered and the game over scene is called. It’s happening at seemingly random time intervals as well.

It’s almost like a weird timeout or something.

Disabling the ball object stops the issue or if I disable the collider also removes the unexpected behavior.

1 Like

So,

This is strange, but it fixed it.

The paddle and ball were on different Z axes. once I put them both on zero i wasn’t getting the lose collider triggered anymore.

Which is unexpected because the ball script is forcing the ball to remain above the paddle at all times… Can the ball’s collider separate from the ball game object?

Strange.

Hi Chris,

This behaviour often occurs if the Collision Detection isn’t set to Continuous / Continuous Dynamic,. Effectively the ball falls through the paddle, triggering the collider, you just don’t always actually see it.

4 Likes

Hmm weird. Thanks for that info!

Did changing the Collision Detection resolve the issue for you Chris?

1 Like

Hey Rob,

So, I’m pretty sure I changed the collision detection from discrete to continuous when I was troubleshooting and I was still getting the invisible triggering of that “Lose Collier”.

I think the thing that fixed it was putting the paddle and ball on the same Z axis. Which I don’t think should matter in the 2D environment, but I’m very new to messing around in Unity.

Even weirder still, is that I couldn’t reproduce it on my other computer. I’m using a synced dropbox directory to store the project, so I’m not sure what information unity is saving locally to the workstation outside of the project directory or if that could have any effect. Versions of Unity are the same on both machines.

Well, at any rate, it’s working now, on both computers so, I’ve been able to move on in the course.

Thanks again for your help!

3 Likes

Glad to hear you’re able to move forward and your more than welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms