Lose Collider triggering on it's own

I’m having a problem with the lose collider triggering on it’s own after a short amount of time.

This seems to be the same problem as here: [HELP] Lose Collider triggers on its own after some seconds

Turning off the ‘Is Trigger’ option fixes this issue, but of course creates a new issue.
Debugging the collider on update logs a message letting me know the lose collider has been hit by the ball.
I’ve tried moving the lose collider further down, and that only seems to slow the inevitable, instead of alleviating it.

I’ve tried suggestions in the previous thread, but the only things that work break the game (such as turning off the lose collider).

Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Most likely this is going to be the ball being one side of the paddle on one frame, and then on the other side of the paddle on the next, then triggering the collision. I suspect you have Discrete set as the Collision Detection Mode on the Rigidbody2D component on the Ball. Try setting it to Continuous and see if this resolves the issue for you.

I responded to another student with what sounds like the same issue only a day or two ago, here’s the link, it’s fairly lengthy, but has all of the information in more detail than I have provided above;

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Looks like that worked! Thank you for the quick reply Bob!
Still don’t quite understand the difference, but yes switching the collision detection mode to Continuous solved the problem.

1 Like

Hi,

No problem, and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

The different mode effectively changes the frequency at which the collisions are being tested for, its therefore a little more labour intensive, but, for small objects or very fast objects may be necessary in order to prevent objects going through each other.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms