Looking for a course on 3D Farming

Hello all,

I have searched on Udemy and youtube and have not quite found what I was looking for. I was hoping to find a course on how to implement farming in a 3D game similar to a game like Medieval Dynasty.

I have seen one course that was interesting, but I found myself confused and was hoping for a more organized and detailed course. I was hoping I was not alone in wanting to see a course on implementing a farming mechanic where you can place a field in a suitable area, and then proceed to till, fertilize, seed, and harvest the field. I understand the basic concept, such as needing a state machine to control the current state of the field, however I am struggling on wrapping my brain around how to determine if you can place a field to begin with.

Update: I forgot to add a tag for course-ideas to this. My Apologies.

There are several advantages to using 3D technology in agriculture. The first advantage is that it saves time and money. Because 3D printers create objects directly from computer files, they eliminate the need to manually design each object. Instead, farmers can use CAD software to design their products and then print them out. Another benefit of 3D printing is that it reduces the amount of materials needed to build a product. Farmers no longer have to buy expensive raw materials, such as wood, plastic, metal, and concrete. Instead, they can purchase only the parts they need and assemble those parts themselves. You can find here

That is a cool fun fact of info. I was meaning more along the lines of 3D farming in a video game such as medieval dynasty. It is one thing to have it like a game like Fallout 4 where the food item(Crop) you wish to plant is essentially a placeable object. I am wanting to actually do a full crop with varying grid sizes. Which tbh may also simply be a placeable and I am over thinking it.

1. Introduction to 3D farming
    The term “3D” refers to three-dimensional space. In agriculture, 3D farming means using technology to create a system where crops are grown in three dimensions (height, width, and depth). These systems have been around for years, but they were not widely adopted until recently.
  2. Why 3D?
    There are many reasons to adopt 3D farming. One of the biggest advantages of 3D farming is that it helps reduce water usage. Because the roots of the plant go deeper than just below the surface, the plant uses less water. Another advantage of 3D farming is the increased yield per square foot. A study done at the University of California showed that yields could increase anywhere between 10% and 30%.
  3. How does 3D work?
    In order to understand how 3D works, we need to first look at what happens in traditional farming. When a farmer wants to plant a seed, he digs a hole about 6 inches deep and puts the seeds inside. He then covers them with dirt and waits for the seeds to germinate. Once the seeds sprout, the farmer waters them regularly and continues to do so until harvest time.
    With 3D farming, the farmer starts with a flat bed of soil. Then, he adds fertilizer and seeds to the top layer. Next, he places a thin layer of mulch over the seeds. Finally, he builds a frame that supports a plastic sheet. The plastic sheet keeps the moisture off of the seeds while letting air flow underneath. As the seeds begin to germinate, they push their way through the mulch and into the soil. Once they reach the bottom of the bed, the farmer removes the plastic sheet and waters the plants regularly.
  4. Advantages of 3D farming
    When farmers use 3D farming, they get several benefits. First, they save money on labor costs. Farmers don’t have to dig holes and fill them back up. Instead, they simply add fertilizer and seeds to the surface of the bed and wait for the seeds to germination.
    Another benefit of 3D farming is its ability to produce higher quality crops. Since the roots of the plant extend much further than just below the surface of the ground, the plant gets more nutrition from the soil. This results in healthier plants and more nutritious food.
    Finally, 3D farming reduces the amount of pesticides used. Since the roots of a plant go much deeper than just below the soil, the plant doesn’t need to be sprayed with chemicals.
  5. Disadvantages of 3D farming
    While 3D farming is great for saving money and reducing pesticide usage, it comes with some disadvantages. First, it takes longer to grow crops. Since the roots go much deeper than just under the surface, the plant takes longer to germinate. Second, it requires specialized equipment. To build a 3D farm, a farmer needs a tractor with a special attachment and a frame that holds the plastic sheet. Third, it requires more land. Since the roots go deeper than just below ground, the plant needs more room to grow.

If you can’t find a course, here’s how I would tackle a game like the one you are describing:

1. First-person camera control, something relatively easy to do.
  2. Define a space as tillable, you can do this with many things, like a texture, a separated invisible object, or even with Navmesh (Unity).
    • If you don’t want to define a space, I think that would be easier, just change the texture and remove doodads and props when holding something.
  3. When pressing a button an animation plays, depending on which tool you have in hand is the animation.
  4. To control the plants you are growing I would create a single script that handles all of that.
    • When placing a seed, the actions sends a message to this script, lets call it, CropsTimer, it register the seed type in and the time it takes to grow, in a list or dictionary. Generic classed would be great for this since they can hold way more info.
      • When a day passes, the CropsTimer goes through all the list and changes the timer of each, making plants change.
        • For a real-time change, like if you planted X seed that takes 18 hour to grow, I would have the CropsTimer have a timer and every hour check if any plants need to change its state.
    • When grabbin a plant, your remove it from the ‘CropsTimer’ dictionary.

Hope this gives you a rough idea on how to do a farmsim.

I’ve also seen some 2D farmsim courses out there, perhaps you could buy one of those in case the Gamedev team doesn’t do one. Yeah, I know, you want 3D, but remember this, the prototype of Breath of the Wild was done in 2D, the base concepts always work for both, 2D and 3D.

Thanks for the info. I have watched a couple 2D courses and even follow a 3D farming tutorials on Youtube. I am still very much interested in seeing another 3D farming course, preferable one that can tie into the third person controller using state machines.

Also(side note), not sure where the confusion is, but this thread is definitely for a 3D farming course for a video game. As in coding using unity and C#. Not sure what I said to keep getting replies about using 3D farming in agriculture. Are these forums about more than gamedev or am I missing something? I do not mean to sound rude to the people who did reply with 3D farming in agriculture, but this thread in particular is only meant as a request for a course on programming. :smiley:

Have you tried doing that by yourself? If you have seen that many tutorials, I think you are good to go.

My issue, I think, is that I tend to over complicate things. So it helps me to see multiple examples on a particular topic for it to click.

For example, I probably watched about 10 different tutorials on a character controller with the differences between the character controller vs rigid body etc and then converting one large script with bools into states and I still have to pause and think about how I want to do my controller when I start.

So with that in mind, I always welcome new tutorials, especially as I will be using Gaia to build my terrains and then need to figure out how to program which terrain can be converted from say Grass to dirt. Now on one hand, I understand Gaia just uses unity terrain. On the other, I am still getting confused over certain bits.

I suppose the easiest way to say it is like a classroom. 2 teachers can teach the same subject in 2 different ways. Students may be confused with Teacher A but have it click just fine with Teacher B. Expect my brain gets scrambled so I need a few more teachers for it to click haha.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms