Local axis is off?

After I have put my tree in the right place and at a nice angle, I can’t for the life of me scale along the ‘real’ local z-axis anymore. It shows my axes to be exactly the same as the global ones. It doesn’t matter if I use edit or object mode, and it also doesn’t help to switch between global and local in the transformation orientation drop down menu. I worked around it to shorten the trunk of the pine tree by using grabx2, but I can’t do that for the tip of the crown.

Any way to restore the local axes?

1 Like

When you apply rotation and scales local axis are ‘lost’. Wanting to retain use of local axis is one of the rare reasons not to apply R&S.
There are ways to get round it but they are fairly complicated to explain.

Select the base face of the tree.
Press SHIFT 1 in the number pad.

Now you should be looking at the tree directly side on. It will probably feel odd upside down or something, do not worry about it.

Now set the Transform orientation from global to VIEW.
(you can even make this a custom orientation via the little plus sign in that dropdown, but probably more than you need in this case)

From here XYX work based on the view. It may take a couple of test movements to work out which way each axis is but Y up down, X across Z in out usually.

Shift before any of the number pad numbers for views creates a view relative to the selected face, edge. So if you wanted a top view of the rotated tree it would be Shift 7. etc.

Once done press a normal numberpad number, say 1, to get thing feeling right again in the viewport. Remember to reset to global too!

1 Like

Thanks, that worked! :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms