...little late on the Version Recommendation

I’ve come to the “UE 5.1 Starter Content Folder” warning part of this C++ UE course, and I have to say this message is quite late, don’t you think? It states “we highly recommend following the course using the same software versions as the instructor,” but the instructor explicitly told me to download the latest version of UE available, something like 6 chapters ago.

That’d be no big deal, uninstall and reinstall… Unless it literally took 2-3 hours to download UE from the distributor. (Not to mention an Nvidia driver update.)

This text warning should have occurred before the instructor says to download the latest version, back in the setup chapter. Please go - now - and add this text supplement, version recommendation so it appears BEFORE the chapter where we are explicitly instructed to download the latest version.

And, obviously, if this is GameDev.tv’s policy, do make sure to account for it in any courses you record, in future. By ensuring the setup chapter advises downloading the same version that will be used in the course, as opposed to the latest version.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the community.

The recommendation is just that and you can follow with newer versions - the main issue being some things have changed. I encountered this with a course released for UE 5.2 and some things changed in 5.3 which were breaking. Now, if you are willing to accept these risks and I should say they don’t happen all the time, then you can easily follow with a newer version. We only recommend you stick with the course version because it makes things easier for yourself by not having to deal with changes in the engine.

I will however pass on the recommendations to our instructors and I’m sorry for your inconvenience.

I do hope you enjoy the course.

Thanks.

Just so you know… It sounds like GameDev.tv doesn’t actually have a solid stance on this, and is miscommunicating the nuance of it, until or unless asked, directly.

For me: I’m sticking with the version it took me all those hours to download and install. I’ve got a lifetime’s experience in and around all of these fields. And I find UE to be brilliantly intuitive so far. So my opinion is: there’s not enough difference - in 5.3, anyway - to bother backing up to 5.0.

But there’s still a big, highly unprofessional, problem in the course, as it exists today. And it’s the untimely presentation of contradicting statements, with the potential to EAT the student’s time. (and trust)

Instead of acknowledging the nuance and being presented with a choice to make, up front, anyone taking this course - as I am now - will be told explicitly by the instructor to download the latest version, right there in the video. Then, 2-3 hours later they’ll have it downloaded and installed, and they can finally start the course.

But then!.. An hour or two into the course they’ll be confronted with a text addendum, “highly recommending” they NOT use the latest version that took them all those hours to acquire.

Imagine I had taken the text of this addendum seriously, and downgraded. I’d have 6 hours into installing and uninstalling… And you’d be here telling me, more or less, that it would have been fine to stick with 5.3!

That’s a hot mess of a “curriculum,” if your job is teaching.

I acknowledge this and even with the advice, most people ignore it anyway, even beginners.

I’ve sent a message regarding this so we will see what can be done.

I assume the download time is related to connection speed as I know it typically takes me 20 minutes to install a version but then I also have a gb fibre connection. WiFi would generally be about 5 to 10 times slower which would be the times you are stating.

If I hear back from the team, I will let you know their response but I don’t expect anything until January at this point.

Thanks. Just trying to improve things for the next guy.
I’m a few more hours in now, and I’m enjoying the course!
I’m happy to find that UE’s UI is waaaay more intuitive than Unity.

As to the download time, I presumed it was Unreal Engine’s servers, throttling. Because I’ve got bandwidth! I’m hard wired to cable on desktop with 200+ down. But if I remember right, UE was only coming down at ~10mb/s. If you’re saying that’s unusual… I suppose I might have been routing through my VPN unintentionally. I don’t think I was, but maybe.

Vpn would impact downloads for sure, I typically get 120mb/s down as I use a wired connection and 50+ over WiFi on a good dsy but on Vpn typically 5 to 10mb/s max.

Vpn connections are inherently slower due to the extra processing needed on send and receive of data as well as overheads to sending extra or larger data due to the encryption and can be crippling to speeds and also has a negative impact on pc performance (minor but still) when accessing the Internet.

As for downloads from the server, that certainly could be a factor. Those with new computers over the holiday season may be downloading the engine so performance may take a hit.

Yeah, no. It’s Epic throttling.
I actually AM being forced to downgrade, because of my Win10 version (MBR install) not supporting the .NET version 5.3 would require. (for VS integration) And in every case I’ve seen, Epic throttles downloads to 10MB/s.

Could be a regional thing. I’m in Detroit, so probably routing to a Chicago server bank. But my VPN is not up, and whether its an asset pack or the engine, they only offer me a 10MB/s pipe. Thankfully UE 5.0.3 is 40Gb’s smaller than 5.3, so it’s looking like 35-40 minutes, instead of 2+ hours.

Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention and apologies for the delay in responding.

I think the main issue stems from Sam recommended that students download the latest version of “Unreal 5” rather than “Unreal 5.0”.
I’ve gone in and added a quick edit to the “Installing Unreal Engine” video to advise students to stick with 5.0, unless they’re happy with some of the additional troubleshooting that comes with installing 5.1 or later.

We recommend using 5.0 if you’re brand new to Unreal, as your learning journey should then match what is being presented in the videos. However, if you do chose to follow along in the latest version of Unreal (which I think is now 5.3), we have included several article lectures and additional resource links to help you out along the way.

If you do find yourself getting stuck at any point, please reach out and our teaching assistants will be happy to help answer any question you may have.

2 Likes

hey guys. i have the same issue like Roninpawn. i have to agree. little annoying. now its middle of march, and i didnt see any advice to stick to 5.0. it was kind of difficult to find the install. and i dont even know where to download 5.0 …

edit
ok, i found how to download 5.0 was not so difficoult. but do i always need to open epic games first to start UE?

Privacy & Terms