Linking materials has some wierd results?

Well linking in the wood material has a simple but nice effect, however,

If you notice through that window, theres an enitre chess board outside!

If you look in my world outliner there, you will see some data that I linked in. Only its being added as some sort of scene objects, instead of just materials in the world.
But whats strange is these don’t behave like a mesh, or any other data type likewise. I can’t move them around or edit them, I can’t even disable visibility!

I don’t know if this will become transparent or fix itself later on, but rather odd for now, as He did not get that effect in his video.

luls. Hmm whys it stretching that texture in rendered mode.

also heres a more extended hierarchy of those wierd scene objects:

Well considering theres a whole chess board model, presumably it had linked mesh data aswell. But to what nature did it do this? I specifically selected ONLY the materials when linking the data.

That’s one **** of a chess piece btw.

I do notice I can ideed use the mesh data, but after I select it, its name is greyed out for some reason.

Linked items remain grayed out unless you make them local or convert to a proxy. You can also look under the Outliner, Data-Blocks and check the Libraries to see exactly what you linked in.

I hope this might help.

Under libraries I see something added named Lib with a file path to the file i linked the data from. But thats all the information this data block seems to contain.

I just noticed I could delete the linked objects it added to the scene. Perhaps since it auto-linked the object data and not just the material, it make them placeable objects in the scene aswell, and added them to the scene for me?

… Is this some sort of setting?
Even still, what is wierd is that despite deleting them from the scene, they are listed as having a user, as when I go to select them they do not have a 0 in front of their name.

The info on linked data being greyed out tho helps, thanks for that.

I went to my castle project and looked at the data-blocks. There seems to be no mention of the actual item linked, just the file it came from. I linked a material and it just linked the material only. Perhaps there is some link relationship with the material, if it is linked to the object in the chess set? I don’t know. Puzzling.

Yeah it is kind of wierd. The only difference was that i linked multiple materials at once.

The linked material data is shown in the data-block outliner, but as mentioned the link data block only what file address to derive its data from.

I tried doing it for my knight chess piece, which was just a color w/ no texture, and it worked like it did in the video. So hard to narrow down the culprit here (especially since blender freezes when opening file browser on this computer)

Privacy & Terms