Linked duplicates

Hello there! Wanted to ask something about the linked duplicates. if rotation and/or scale change, will it be an issue in terms of texturing and/or when importing the mesh in a game engine? thanks a lot in advance :grinning:

1 Like

When making linked duplicates, their UVs are shared, so while scaling an Object will obviously have some implications for texturing, I don’t think the fact that it’s a linked duplicate will change anything by itself. I would apply your transforms though, because that will almost certainly cause weirdness somewhere if you don’t =)

Each engine has its own set of quirks, and what works just fine in one might cause massive problems in another. I would think that as long as the topology is good and your transforms are applied, you should be fine, since as far as I’m aware, most inter-software 3D object file formats (.glTF, .obj, etc.) gracefully lose that sort of information (being a linked duplicate), just like dumping fancy-font text into Notepad leaves you with just the words.

A quick test in Godot revealed no issues, but I can’t speak for UE or Unity.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms