Lighting looks strange on Mayan Pyramid

Ever since I created the ramp for the stairs, the lighting has been strange, and I don’t really know how this happened, let alone how to fix it.
This is using the same three-point light setup in the lectures.

This even happens in solid mode.

If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this, and how I could get it back to normal, please let me know!

Weird.

Please give full screenshots. With the relevant panels open.

This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side. On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.

We need more than the end result, more info on the settings, etc.

1 Like

I hope this helps. Sorry if there was another panel you needed to see, just let me know and I’ll add it.

1 Like

Try making that light top left of the pyramid a sun lamp.

No luck, it still only illuminates certain faces, no matter where I point it.
Even if I pointed it directly behind the pyramid, it only lit the edges up.

1 Like

Your preview sphere is not there either.
Have you got an AMD graphics card?

If not.
Close blender down and Open a new file and append into it the pyramid. Then try. This often bypasses odd glitches from accidental key presses that end up doing something odd.

1 Like

Appending unfortunately didn’t help. I think I found a workaround, though: I deleted all the faces off the mesh, selected every edge, and re-made the faces. I had to do some editing, but it seems to have fixed the lighting.
I really appreciate the help!

1 Like

Good to hear. Perhaps all the faces were back to front?

A 3D face has two sides, a front, and a backside.
Normally, in 3D theory, the backside called backface, will not be rendered (can not be seen).
But Blender does so!

To see how a face is oriented, we have NORMALS. A normal is a visual guide to show what is the front side of a face, and where lies the center of that face. Normals are turned off by default, but you can switch them on. You will learn, it’s part of the course.

You probably have inverted your face mesh for the pyramid. And corrected it by deleting a face and rebuild. But there is a quicker way, because it happens a lot (part of the 3D design).

In edit mode select all (‘a’- key), then the command Shift n, which makes the normals pointing outwards.

Display normal

2 Likes

That is something I tried initially, but all the faces somehow weren’t inverted. Oh well, at least it works now. I appreciate the advice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms