Lighting Cycles Vs Eevee

Hello again.

Struggling quite a bit with the lighting, especially with Eevee. I want to have stronger shadows, but I’m not quite getting there.

Also struggling with the position and the strength of the lighting to get a more “interesting” feel, whether be it in Eevee or in Cycles. I feel that it’s quite dark right now, but I’m afraid that by increasing the strength of light may cause the shadows to disappear.

Grease Pencil to 3D:

Eevee:

Cycles:

8 Likes

Great job experimenting! That’s how you truly learn.

1 Like

Lighting:

• As a point lamp, more lamps more shadows (softer)
  • As a area lamp, bigger the area softer the shadows
  • Emission objects (same a lamps)
  • The environmental (world) lighting.

A lamp has a size option (makes softer harder shadows). A sun lamp has no size option (our sun has only one size!). But a sun type lamp has an angle (to the earth). Working with angle softens the shadows.

Do not compare Eevee with Cycles.
For better eevee shadows, you need to switch on eevee stuff. Ambient lighting, contact shadows, bitmap shadow sizes … And even the eevee render samples.

But personally, don’t focus on ‘design’, learn to rig and animate. That is the goal of the lamp challenge.

1 Like

good one .

1 Like

Thank you! :grinning: I should do more experimenting, but, sometimes, I’m just too afraid of making mistakes… :sweat_smile:

Thank you for the lighting information, it did help me understand a bit better how lighting works.

I know that I shouldn’t compare, but seeing that I’m not getting the results that I wanted in Eevee (not saying that it should appear the same as Cycles), it can be a bit frustrating. But, thank you again for the Eevee tips, I will try and experiment with those settings to see if I can improve my render.

And, you’re right. I’m not focusing on the main objective of this particular challenge and focus too much on the design and appearance side (I focus too much in those areas even in other challenges that I did and I sound like a broken record… :sweat_smile: ) .

Thank you again for your comment! :grinning:

Thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

Eevee is really good, but because it want to be a fast renderer. Detailed stuff is switched off. So de default Eevee settings are for general setup. Which is sometimes good and in other scenes bad and you need to tweak a lot.
I try to use Eevee by default. Because my machine is slow. But sometimes at the end I switch over to Cycles, because of Eevee behavior.

Eevee:

• Switch on screen space reflections
  • Ambient occlusion
  • Increase Shadow bitmap sizes Cube for sun lamp (If I can remeber correctly), Cascade for other type of lamps.
  • For every lamp in the scene, activate contact shadows.
  • Most of the options switched on needs to be tweaked per scene
  • Increase eevee samples. More samples more shadows will be calculated, which leeds to softer shadow transitions.
  • Try to use real world scale for your objects. Because default eevee is defined for this. If your lamp is 30cm. in size. Then in blender after apply scale it must be 30cm also.

Common eevee problems.

• Shadows
  • Lightbleed
  • Glass like objects (a lot of tweaking)
  • Fog
  • It renders onlu what you see through the camera. Object shadows outside the view are ‘mostly’ not visible.
2 Likes

Looks like that I still need to learn a lot more about Eevee to get the best out of it. But, I was able learn quite a lot with your reply.

I see some really good quality renders with Eevee, and I always wonder how did they manage to do that and get frustrated as to why I’m unable to do the same. But, now I know that there’s more to it and that I need to “play” more with Eevee to know how it works and to get best out of it.

Thank you so much again for your reply and for your tips and information regarding Eevee!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms