Lighthouse

I’ve been doing Grant’s drawing course and wanted to transfer my ideas to blender. This is my lighthouse scene! Would love to know how to add some fog in!

6 Likes

That’s a lovely Lighthouse scene, and wanting to add in fog will make it dramatic.

Unfortunately, I’m not the right person to tell you how to do that, but there are a good many of our members who have done it, so I’m sure someone will come along with some good tips on how to accomplish it

Oh, and welcome back. I look forward to seeing your final render of this scene. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Looking great.
There are a few ways of adding fog to a scene.

• Using a volume shader instead of a surface shader
  • Using cards, this is just using the “import image as plain” addon (It comes with blender, all you have to do is enable it) to place pictures in your scene to fake a real volume.
  • Do it in post, you can enable a mist pass in the render layers tab of the right side panel. You can then use it in the blender compositor or save the mist pass to be used as a mask in your preferred photo editor.

If I need to clarify anything let me know.

3 Likes

Nice suggestions @zeRgenTa I’ll have to make some notes for myself for future reference. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for taking the time to pass this on! I appreciate it, and hopefully I’ll let you see the results!

2 Likes

What I like about your scene is the scale of things.
Most students make a huge lighthouse in relation to other objects.
But you accomplish a nice scale of details.
Well done!

For mist, fog I would say, yes add them.
But it’s better to proceed with the next lessons.
Learn Blender basics then it will become easier to understand, volumentrics, post-processor, displacement maps (waves), and other cool features. You can also come back to this project with more knowledge.

Just have fun!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I agree, already dreaming up my dungeon :relaxed:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms