So since I recently posted my attempt at my block breaker game a little prematurely, with the help of the people who commented on that earlier post, and friends and family, I was able to figure out what I needed to improve, and I went out to do that.
some changes from the first version to this one are:
1: Created a retry button on all levels to restart their level, and revert their score to what it was when the scene first loaded.
2: Lowered heart count, and added a penalty for losing a life, which subtracts 50 points from your score.
3: There is no longer any block health. Due to the high amount of blocks already in the scene, making some that had to be hit more than once, did nothing to improve the game, and only served to make the player spend more time hitting it.
4: To the best of my knowledge, I have solved the problem with the block slowing down, by tuning down the random velocity determinate when the ball collided with blocks, it seemed to balance the ball more.
5: A highly requested aspect was music, so now music is added onto all the scenes, which correlate to the music that would have played in that room in the original NES game.
6: An update to the Game Over screen, making it look cleaner
I really hope you guys enjoy my improvements. I spent a lot of time yesterday wondering if it was worth it to fix it, spending all this time on a project that perhaps I should have just moved on from, but I let the excitement of being able to show everyone the improvements I made lead me, and I’m very happy that I did. Not only does it make me proud to show this off, I also strengthened my coding skills, while I tried to solve the problems that arose in unity.