Lecture challenge - share a video of your tanks moving

So finally the AI tanks are trying to line up a shot and move forward/backwards :beers:

3 Likes

Awesome work, I hope you’re going to publish this game?

1 Like

Looks great, can I ask where you’re getting your assets?

They are made by myself (Blender, Substance Painter, Starfield Generator). Particles are modified from the UE4 starter pack :slight_smile:

Cool! Are the sound effects from the starter pack as well? And what screen recording software do you use?

The sounds are 6 different firework explosions, which I tuned and manipulated in the UE4 sound cue :wink:

I am recording with the nvidia build in shadowplay or with my external Gamecapture card, as I have a streaming pc for dedicated stream processing to twitch ^^;

1 Like

This looks great but i just realised i have an issue with the design choice for the projectile ben chose. I could see you were trying to shoot ahead of the tank to land your shot which is understandable, but it doesnt work with the design choice as your projectile aimed far behind the tank. this wouldnt be an issue if the projectiles were really quick and you could just aim directly at the tank. my suggestion to you is to simplify your aiming mechanics.

bens way is a great way of learning c++ but I think in order for the aiming to fit your gameplay, you might need to control directly were your barrel is aiming so that you can shoot ahead of the tank. it would be more reliable and take more skill too as you would have aim up too to compensate for projectile drop. what im saying is you should decide whether you want to speed up the projectile speed alot or simplify the aiming to fix the issue of not being able to shoot ahead of your opponent reliably.

Thanks for this added value Ryan.

no prob. I think the best design choice for a “slow” moving projectile is to do what halo does with their tank like vehicle, the wraith. But I understand the design choice chosen was best for learning c++. The easy fix would be to speed up the projectile a ton, but I’m guessing the original poster likes the slow projectile effect, which is what I prefer too.

also, I think the main benefit of this aiming component is for the ai to use as they cant think like players. The players I think should have to aim for themselves by having direct control of the barrel. I think gamedevcala should make his own simpler aiming mechanic just for the player controller only.

I think the best way to do it is just adding the simpler aiming to playercontroller class as it really is simple and it would end up making player controller have less code as we wouldnt need to figure out hitlocation.

Privacy & Terms