Lecture 29 - Knife doesn't cut edge, until "Cut through" (C) is turned on

Hi there,
Not sure why, but blender doesn’t allow me to cut the upper or lower edge of the tiles, where it faces the extruded edge - until I turned on cut through (C).

At any other edge the tiles can be cut with cut through off.

Any suggestions?

Thx.

• Ray

3 Likes

Did you check for extrusion duplication?

• In edit mode select all, and merge by distance, fiddle with the distance.
  • Also, by default Blender will select front faces, so try to rotate the object so you can access the places required.
1 Like

Thx.
Quick answers:

• No duplicates, I checked :smiley:
  • Tried to rotate, makes no difference. I just realized I applied the mesh randomize step before the inset, depth step.
2 Likes

As cut through let it work I suspect the parts you wanted to cut were just slightly hidden behind other geometry.
That randomisation might have moved verts to cause that.

3 Likes

Think so too.

I don’t know if I quite understand what you’re trying to. You may be able to select the one edge you’re trying to add a vertex too and right click to subdivide. Then just ‘GG’ to edge slide it to the spot you want. After that you could knife tool a bit easier to the spots you want.

1 Like

It’s part of the beginner course to introduce damage and cracks to the edges. The knife tool didn’t allow me to select the edge I needed to create another edge to do so. I had to turn on cut through to make it work.

Most likely, the randomization step caused this.

Usually the knife tool work sfine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms