Layers for bones in weight painting rig

I am working in the new version of Blender 4.0 Release Candidate. I don’t seem to be able to find the DEF layers or any layers in the Properties Panel. I think things have changed in respect to this in the new version or something hasn’t been implemented yet. Also, when I do select bones in weight painting, it seems I have to use Alt Click and not Ctrl Click to select the bone. The work around I am trying is to select the rig then tom and go to Weight Paint Mode. Now in Weight Paint Mode I can go to the Vertex Groups and select the bones there to work on the weight paint. It is more tedious to find the correct bone as it is not a simple point and click on the figure where you want to work.

Am I missing a concept here or has things changed that significantly?

Thank you for any suggestions.

3 Likes

I looked around the interface a bit more and found that you need to (in Object Mode) select the rig (not metarig). Then go to the Object Data Properties Tab. Under "Bone Collections select the eye for DEF and then the deformation bones become visible.

I think I just solved my own problem.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes I. 4.0 bone layers is replaced with bone collections. Also bone groups have been removed since we have bone collections. Group colors have been moved to bone colors and bones can have different colors for pose and edit mode.

2 Likes

Well done 4 has changes and it will be a while before people find where they put everything and renamed it etc. Its why I keep a few releases behind! Try never to use new Main releases, at least wait on 4.1 as that is the first bug fix!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms