Lamp shade deforming when rotating the bone

Hi,

After parenting up the lamp shade and a new bone strange things happened. I was trying to rotate the bone, and noticed that the lamp shade indeed rotated with it, however the lamp shade starts to deform as I was rotating its parent bone. Here are two images showing the situation, first is when the bone is at its rest position, second is when the bone is rotated. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

1 Like

Before you connect objects to a bone.
Be sure SCALING is set to 1 (Apply scale).
and check your origin points.

2 Likes

In my case the lamp shade’s scaling seems to be 1. What about the origin points, do I need to move them? According to the lecture, it seems that the origin point of lamp shade was left as it was.

Update:

Actually even the joint made from the uv sphere seems to be distorted, it already had both rotation and scale applied:

Here’s the same situation but with the Armature also being displayed:

Every object needs to be set to 1, before that object (the mesh) is connected to the bone!

Not really, but it can lead to confusion. The best is to have clean, correct objects. Like having the origin point in the center of object gravity. Also, this needs to be done before connecting to a bone.

Important is to have a object model with scale 1.
Setup in a default POSE.
Then applu a armature and bone congiguration.
Connect object to bone.
Test some poses, but don’t forget to set the pose to its default rest state.
The start animating.

I think your problems is complex due to the fact of having being busy with animation.

• Delete animation.
  • Delete armature.
  • Check scale.
1 Like

Many thanks for the detailed explanations!

I removed the bones, checked that everything had been applied, then added back the bones. Now the deformation disappeared.

Hard to recall what I did wrong earlier, but I guess it’s time to move to the next lecture.

2 Likes

I had hard times too, when I did a first time of using an armature.
And still I have reluctance of using them.
But it is an important tool in Blenders toolbox.

Have fun animating …

1 Like

Privacy & Terms