Lamp all different places depending on mode?

I re-rigged the lamp but haven’t done the animation yet. I moved the lamp to the top of the table (the lamp had been at 0,0,0 for building) and now it’s totally all over the place depending on the mode I’m in. Also before moving the lamp the pose mode bones were in slightly different places (incorrect places) from rest mode (correct places) I did reset everything in pose mode and it didn’t fix it.

Premove Pose mode:

Premove Rest mode (correct):

Any idea what’s happening? I definitely feel I missed something about how to move the object or something.

I read a bunch of the posts in this course and looks like you all have answered these types of questions before so I’ll go through all of them and try it all. I guess I could also just do an entirely new armature since it’s such a simple armature.

1 Like

Nope. It’s worthwhile to try to examine what went wrong. You can learn from these mistakes.
There is no need to re-rig. But, it can be handy to follow all steps exactly.

Most common mistakes:

• Scale of the objects is not 1, before starting to link object to bone.
  • The origin is confused, by the mirror system. Apply mirrors.
  • Be sure, Everything is connected to the empty (it’s the parent of all). And you need to move the empty to move the complete lamp. (this empty is not needed but it is very helpful).
  • Be aware of the edit and the pose mode !!! Don’t use pose mode and change in edit mode. (it can be done, but for the first time, don’t mess with it. setup everything in èdit` mode, THAN go-to pose for animations.

Remove parent child relations. apply scale, do the edit thing and when all set. connect objects to bones and animate in pose mode.

2 Likes

Okay so I found out why my pose and rest were different. A bone was still constrained (I swear I got rid of all those!!)

I’m going to reparent and see how it goes.

Question: How do I move the lamp in the scene if I need to after rigging it

Is there any way to keep this from moving when I put the constraint on it?

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, the lamp points in the wrong direction?
You should correct this in edit mode.
And before connecting the lamp to the last bone, apply lamp rotation (I think …).

But for me it’s long ago to say, hit this button. I hope this will help. Let me know, if not.
I haven’t much time to spend nowadays.

1 Like

I noticed that his does the same thing so I guess it’s not covered.

The problem I had was I think I moved stuff in pose mode and edit mode and object mode so it was all over the place. I think my lamp itself was fine but I got to do everything again to see how to do it so that’s good, I guess.

Thanks for all your help, again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms