Killing Distractions

Hi everyone,

Here is one commitment I make in order to kill distractions. I commit to not going on Twitter at all for the next 30 days. If I need to look for inspiration or information, I will use other means. I already deleted the app on my smartphone, and logged out on my browsers.

I often take the excuse that reading a bunch of 280 characters messages won’t take long and that it won’t hurt, or that I will just focus on project related messages. But I often end up scrolling down my feed for longer than expected, clicking on links etc… and mostly unrelated to my project.
I work on my project during weekdays Monday - Friday, but for this commitment I won’t go on Twitter on week-ends either in order to build good habits, and removing the addiction.

Thanks for reading this, and thank you Rick for all the good advice! Good luck with all your projects.

6 Likes

An excellent commitment Ian, thanks for sharing with us!

2 Likes

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you both for your kind support! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys.
I am loving the course so far and it’s been a great help. In last 7 days I spent about 50 hours on my project and it’s been a great experience for me and a great boost for my project.
I want to go a bit further and try and watch where I spend my time.
Do you know any good offline windows app to follow my time spent on the various activity and then help to sum it up at the end of the week or a month?
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

You could try RescueTime, that provides you with a summary at the end of each week and lists all of the things you have been doing, both on mobile and the computer and grouped into categories. Its aimed at increasingly development time, but potentially anything.

I think @Rick_Davidson did actually add a few other resources to one of the lectures too…

Updated Mon Jan 29 2018 15:12

Just checked and it doesnt look there is a separate set of resources, sorry, my bad, a few were listed in one of the slides from memory.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a try.
Thanks Rob

1 Like

If you out it on mobile and your computer you’ll suddenly see how much time you spend/waste on Facebook or Clash of Clans etc… Its quite good for that… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, that’s the reason I need it, maybe not Facebook or Clash of Clans exactly, but we all have our poison of choice, I guess. When I’ll identify my biggest time waster, it is going down.
Cheers

2 Likes

Hehe, cool, you should find RescueTime useful for that, glad to hear “Its going down”… Lol… :wink:

1 Like

Good luck with the procrastination hunt! It is really great to hear that your project is getting a boost, congratulations! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for a good word. I really like to use this momentum and have a really productive month (for starters).
I hope your commitment is giving you great results.

2 Likes

Sorry guys, I didn’t add those as external resources, just stuff I mentioned in the lecture. Rescue time is great as Rob says.

I recommend that you turn your phone off completely when you are in work mode so that you can’t be distracted. You might also consider uninstalling apps such as Twitter if you use them on your phone when you should be working.

This is a good article for giving you some alternatives:

1 Like

@IanCher with my social media what I like to do is only add stuff that I want to learn about to it. i.e. programming, art, animation, etc. Same with using Discord. I just try to surround myself with what I want to learn. Seeing other people’s works is very encouraging and I like seeing all of the different ideas.

1 Like

@Kaze people at my company like to use stayfocused.com it blocks you out of certain sites AND keeps you from disabling it until the time frame is over.

1 Like

Hi Kenshin. Thanks for an idea, although I am not sure how this website works. It does not offer to download any application or anything like that.

May be meant this;

http://www.stayfocusd.com/ (note the minor spelling difference)

…there’s this too if you use Chrome…

Yup, this works. Thanks, Rob :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms