Keeping myself Honest and Motivated - Laser Defender Goals

I am posting here to put my goals in writing. To hopefully keep myself honest and motivated. That way when I hit hurdles I wont just procrastinate into in-action.

So here are my goals for my version of Laser Defender on the technical side.

Use Unity 2019.3.0a6 alpha. (same as I used for my block breaker game)
Use the LWR (Light Weight Render Pipeline)
Use the Sprite Renderer to test and play with the sprite lighting.
Use the Post Processing to get some post processing experience.
Use Editor Scripting to create better experience with my scripts.

• use Handles and or Gizmos to visualize data in inspector

Use Particle Systems to make fancy effects. (following another tutorial)
Want to implement a cool parallax effect on background (jealous of some of the other laser defender games I have seen other make with cool parallax)

• I am going for a Tesla type Idea.
  • My player is going to be a tethered object that is tethered by electricity.
  • The player will have to run into the bullets to get energized.
  • There will be some mechanic where missing the bullets will power the killing mechanic
  • Also toying with an idea that the player will have to spend energy to shoot at some things, thus draining his own energy supply.
  • The players energy supply will determine the length of the tether.

Okay this looks good for now!

1 Like

Here is my Progress Video:

1 Like

I got the LWR Pipeline and Sprite Render 2D with lights up and running. I implemented a Parallax Shader that allows for a lit up background and normal maps. I cleaned up some of the other scripts as well.

1 Like

I have cleanded up the emeny spawning and wave configurations. I have added an enemy, enemy shot, and player script. I added an IDamage Interface. I was able to get a line renderer hooked up between the playerbase and player. I have controlled the tethering based on the player energy level ie… health.

1 Like

Small Update added some nice textures with good normal maps to check the LWR Pipeline and Sprite Renderer Shaders that I created to see how they looked. I was happy with the results.

1 Like

I was not able to work on it a lot this week had a lot of Life to attend to. I was able to get some new shaders into the game and fail on some art for the electricity texture atlas. The electricity falls short of the side be to much and so it does not appear to make it to the player. I added some more lights to the scene and added sprites boulders as a test, only two, but enough to test the idea.

1 Like

This is a quick update. I have added an audio manager but I have the sound off in the current video. It took me a while to get the audio working properly. Then I did a UI system which I have disabled in the video as well. I have done some Shader work and gotten a lot of effect polished up. I have added the firing mechanic to the game.

1 Like

nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms