Just finished the course and want to drop some feedback

Hello there.

Since i already watched some of codemonkey’s youtube stuff about turnebased concepts it was a nobrainer for me to take this course after his announcement, since i dream of a darkest dungeons meets final fantasy tacitcs like game for a while. Now i want to drop some feedback:
I would consider myself an intermediate and i have to say, every concepts is well explained, i like that codemonkey gives alternatives if there are plausible ones. The only thing i found a bit annoying, sometimes you rush through code, and even if you don’t have to see the code to make the same, it was sometimes hard for me to keep up with codemonkeys insane typing speed (props) and surley the skills he has in using the ide with laser speed.

I’am happy with the state of the prototpye at the end of the course, the only things that i find a little bit disappointing are, that the cover system and the meshdraw method (i don’t know how to put it hope you’ll understand) are not in this course, because they have been in the youtube video.

Other then that i can only recommend this course if you are no beginner. I think you’ll learn a lot of good practices and techniques if you have a bit of basic unity skills already. I love to have an good basis on which i can build my mvp.

Best regards

Chixsaw

2 Likes

Do you remember specifically what part you found had the code too fast? I tried to go as slow as possible and always explain as I’m writing the code.

By YouTube video I assume you’re talking about the one titled “I made XCOM in 25 HOURS”, that video was the original prototype from which the course is based but after making that prototype I had to streamline and refactor a bunch of systems to make it fit in a course so I opted to go for a more general design (for example adding the Interact Action which has millions of uses) instead of going for a XCOM specific design.
But those kinds of game-specific additions is something I’d like to cover in future updates using the current end state of the course as the base.

I’m glad you enjoyed the course! Thanks!

Privacy & Terms